What to get/ what to avoid?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, seems to be quite a few good deals, when checking one out what do i look for?

If you can get a scan tool check the health of the inj pump on zd30. High wear will show up with low number for inj timing cv. Numbers dropping into the 20s are bad I believe and a new pump will be around $4g. The ecu on the pump can burn out too but I don't think there is any warning there. Mine is on 38% at the moment after 270 thou kms.
YD25 I don't know much about but I think some builds had timing chain issues which should be avoided or replaced asap. Some of the other fellas know a lot more about these. Reading above czechmate had one go in his d40

Hi All, Sorry to higjack the thread as im new here. im looking at getting a Navara as well. There`s a 2006 Nissan Navara ST-R D22 S2 Manual 4x4 Dual Cab for sale locally and they only want 15k for it. I`ll be trading my TI X-Trail T30 if i was to get it but i`ve been told to stay away from the 3.0l`s pre 08 and look at a 2.5 as a better alternative. I just haven't been able to find a reasoning for buying after 08. I did look at a 2010 D22 2.5l but the dealer wanted 25k which is way outside my budget (Mortagage/children etc etc). Any advice?

i should also mention the one im looking at has 157,910kms on the clock.

Last edited:
Long story short the navara 3.0 litre zd30 is good

There are cheaper ones on carsales with less kays than that

Look back over this thread for more info

There are also quite a few other threads on the 3 litre on this forum

Hi All, Sorry to higjack the thread as im new here. im looking at getting a Navara as well. There`s a 2006 Nissan Navara ST-R D22 S2 Manual 4x4 Dual Cab for sale locally and they only want 15k for it. I`ll be trading my TI X-Trail T30 if i was to get it but i`ve been told to stay away from the 3.0l`s pre 08 and look at a 2.5 as a better alternative. I just haven't been able to find a reasoning for buying after 08. I did look at a 2010 D22 2.5l but the dealer wanted 25k which is way outside my budget (Mortagage/children etc etc). Any advice?

Are you sure you want a D22? I found the back seat tiny and difficult to get into. Make sure you are comfortable with fitting your kids in there (assuming you want it as a family car), and consider how much they will grow. I got a D40 for the space in the back, it is a lot bigger. You can probably sneak into a D40 at $15k. I got my 2007 D40 STX with 130k for $17k.

Oh yes

if back seat space is an issue then definitely d40 all the way

my back seat is just covered with toolboxes and shite so i forget how much bigger it is sometimes

D40 also goes considerably harder than the 3 litre OR 2.5

When i first bought the d40 and was giving it a bit the words "freight train" would run thru my mind

Ride quality in the d22s is pretty agricultural too if im honest. Doesnt bother me too much but definitely should be a consideration.

d40s much more modern, nicer and bigger, reliability is a bit more questionable, they look a bit low slung so angles wont be as good offroad if your into that.
you will pickup a d40 in your price range but id be concerned about reliability issues, u might get lucky though?

Afaik, all of the zd30 Navara's were pre '08. Probably confused with the Patrol, which had all sorts of problems with the 3 litre motor. They were set up a lot differently though, and the Nav didn't really have these issues. The model you mention is likely to be one of the better Navara models, reliability wise. You never know though, people drive brand new lemons out of the showroom every day.

This thread might help. There are people driving zd30 Nav's with well over 400,000kms and no real problems.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=400&page=45

That's not a lot of kilometres (on the one you are contemplating) if it has been serviced regularly. As others have said, legroom in the back is awful and they don't drive like a sedan. Take it for drive with your family would be a good idea, see how it goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back