What to get/ what to avoid?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camtheman3306

Reaction score
Gday guys, only new here,

Ill be looking at getting a first vehicle at some stage soon, ive had a bit of a look at everything and like the navs. Ive got about 12-15k to spend- you guys are the experts, what do you guys suggest? Ive been looking at d22s and found one that possibly up for grabs, also happy to look at d40s. What models/ should i stay away from and what are soem things to look out for? And what km range should i look at? Also, zd30 or yd25?

Cheers fellas, Cam

From what i have gathered over time with learning about all navara models is if i was going to buy another navara with low k,s i would look for the D-22 that was made in Japan [ not Thailand ] also the engine should be the ZD-30 not the YD-25. not knocking the YD-25 powered D-22,s as both myself and my son own this model and they both are very reliable and very capable off road vehicles with also limited electrics that the majority of other 4 x 4,s have which is great, example is ignition key, just like your home door key costs $10 to replace as opposed to the electronic car keys that cost $300 plus to replace.
the ZD-30 Navara Engine can clock up very high K,s without any issues providing its not thrashed and its well serviced, so can the YD-25,s but the ZD wins. expect to pay atleast 15k for a ZD-30 Navara and it would have some age too. look into service history on any model you choose.

Second that

I have yd25 powered 07 d40 and whilst its comfy as a 5 star hotel room and goes like a freight train, it took more than a few new genuine and aftermarket parts to get it there

Also timing chains are a big issue with the spanish built STX d40 between 2005-2009 .
Thai built may be dodgy too but my experience is with spanish built

A few mates have had Japanese built zd30 D22s over the years and they've been virtually trouble free

D22s are so good on beaches and dunes as their footprint is quite wide for the weight

Ive heard the way to tell between Japanese and Thai built D22s is the ribs on the tailgate

Ribbed tailgate - Built in Japan
Smooth tailgate - Built in Thailand

not 100% sure of that though

dunno where you're located but this looks like a bargain

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Navara-2006/SSE-AD-4728439/?Cr=7

yes the ribs on tailgate and also the front door locks are not built into the black handle area , there position under the handle.

Yeah rightio, cheers blokesđź‘Ť heard quite a few stories to avoid zd30s but the bad ones were limited to patrols wrrent they?

Yeah the link Czechmate posted looks a cracker deal. Thing is if you pick up an unmodified rig is to jump on the key mods. Throw an oil catch can on and then look at EGR blank. Lots of info on these for all models here, so check them out.
For my 2 cents, I have the zd30 and have had no dramas except new turbo at around 220k. Just put in a remapped ECU and I am loving the increase in power and low down response. The D22 has been in production for 15 odd years? I think, so there is no shortage of parts to be found. I don't know about the rear seats in the D40 but if you have small kids or passengers you don't like, the D22 is fine.

Second that

I have yd25 powered 07 d40 and whilst its comfy as a 5 star hotel room and goes like a freight train, it took more than a few new genuine and aftermarket parts to get it there

Also timing chains are a big issue with the spanish built STX d40 between 2005-2009 .
Thai built may be dodgy too but my experience is with spanish built

A few mates have had Japanese built zd30 D22s over the years and they've been virtually trouble free

D22s are so good on beaches and dunes as their footprint is quite wide for the weight

Ive heard the way to tell between Japanese and Thai built D22s is the ribs on the tailgate

Ribbed tailgate - Built in Japan
Smooth tailgate - Built in Thailand

not 100% sure of that though

dunno where you're located but this looks like a bargain

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Navara-2006/SSE-AD-4728439/?Cr=7

^ i didnt see that before. Thats a bargain and a rare find. You dont get too many low kay zd30s come up! I didnt realise they went to 2006 either!

2006 is the golden year for d22s and also 4.2 litre turbo patrols

2006 is pre financial crisis, so built before the auto companies started to seriously stinge out on quality to save money

Look for what it's worth, I have had zero issues with my 2011 Yd25. Now closing in on 200 000 kms.
A newer ute and for not much more money.

Actually drove a zd30 single cab d22 yesterday on a farm for work

Reminded me how bloody good zd30s are, old school and simple with stacks of torque

Ive got a yd25 d40 by the way

Both good engines in their own way

I may be a little biased coz my timing chain snapped, but i do still love the yd25 too

Latest posts

Back