Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

$2,500 is a good price for the supply and fitting of this upgraded timing chain kit. there is alot of work involved doing this job .
Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Another quick point, dont wait till your timing chain gets noisy, replace it ASAP

I had mine snap at 70,000 ks with no rattle or warning whatsoever, 2007 4wd STX d40 spainbuilt

Had to replace the head too because the pistons hit the valves
when the chain let go

Old 07-09-2018, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

arn,t the Spain built models the ones that do have premature chain breakage as opposed to Thai built models ?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Garage

Thanks for this information...I think I'm going to take advantage of the free timing chain wear check advertised on the yd25 website.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Getting it checked first is the best step. 2012 models didn't seem to have many chain failures, about 2009 were the last of the cars that we saw these complaints commonly.

And my own 2009 (July manufacture, October delivery) STX has 305,000km on the clock and still on the original chains. I'm on my 2nd SCV, 3rd viscous hub, my 4th turbocharger, my 3rd BCS was booted out in favour of a Tilix valve and my DPF sensors have been replaced thanks to auggie. Other than that it's been normal wear and tear - a wheel bearing, couple of transfer case seals, one uni joint ... and we tow a lot, we spend last school holidays wandering out to Wilcannia, White Cliffs, Lightning Ridge, Moree, Glen Innes and back home again. We were going to go to Cameron Corner but decided our tyres may not be up to the task so we opted to change the trip.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Getting it checked first is the best step. 2012 models didn't seem to have many chain failures, about 2009 were the last of the cars that we saw these complaints commonly.

And my own 2009 (July manufacture, October delivery) STX has 305,000km on the clock and still on the original chains. I'm on my 2nd SCV, 3rd viscous hub, my 4th turbocharger, my 3rd BCS was booted out in favour of a Tilix valve and my DPF sensors have been replaced thanks to auggie. Other than that it's been normal wear and tear - a wheel bearing, couple of transfer case seals, one uni joint ... and we tow a lot, we spend last school holidays wandering out to Wilcannia, White Cliffs, Lightning Ridge, Moree, Glen Innes and back home again. We were going to go to Cameron Corner but decided our tyres may not be up to the task so we opted to change the trip.
Why so many Turbo's? Starting to think the zd wasn't such a bad choice ! Apart from having to do the I.P that is ;)

Old 09-09-2018, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Have a look what the poor little turbo had to tow.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

^ Indeed. Actually the 3rd turbo hadn't failed, it was misdiagnosed but replaced on advice from others as "the most likely candidate causing the problem", so in reality there's 2 failures and I have a perfect condition spare. The original factory turbo blew its bearings to bits (lots of towing in the outback in scorching temperatures) and the Forefront replacement shat itself probably because of the mountains we've been climbing.

I've adjusted my Tilix valve to provide slightly less boost than before. Fuel consumption hasn't varied by a great deal but hopefully the reduced pressure (peaks at about 18.6psi now) will translate to a bit more longevity.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 AM

My Mood:
Garage

mine was done at 265k, was making a 'swishing' noise as it wore the guides out, i bought my d40 second hand, and have no idea if it was done prior to me buying it,

cost a fair chunk here in perth to get done

Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught View Post
mine was done at 265k, was making a 'swishing' noise as it wore the guides out, i bought my d40 second hand, and have no idea if it was done prior to me buying it,

cost a fair chunk here in perth to get done
Turbo or Timing Chain ?