Tyre Review -

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will

Reaction score
All, i thought i'd start this thread so we can share our thoughts on tyres we have used.

So please share the following info.

Type of tyre - Brand
Size
likes & dis-likes
Kms traveled
Grip
condition before & after tough tracks
Road noise
wearing evenly / not evenly
fuel consumption

there are lots of threads on tyres but none share opinions or review.

I live in Adelaide, so most of my offroading will be on rocky, shaley, dirt roads and the beach, so Muddies arent going to suit me. Others will have completley the oposite so if we share our experiances it might make our buying choices easier.

u should get the latest 4wd action magazine..theres a few issues cant rememeber exact issue but they did an awesume tyre test (sand mud rock bituman)...at the end of the day cooper ST and STT performed best but chipped easily....mickeyTs AT performed 70-80% across all terrains and was chosen as the most recommend AT tyre. thats in a nutshell though...heaps more to read about each tyre (bf goodrich/coops/mt/maxxis)

I picked up my currant tyres 2nd hand off a mate, I have done about 1500kms so far so I am still getting used to them for now

Type of tyre - Mickey Thompson A/T 5 RIB

Size 225/75/16

Likes & dis-likes They give good traction on dirt, and are excelent on the road, not bad in the mud, I found that they clog up a bit with clay, but that is to be expected with A/T's. I hir some hard clay ruts last time I was out and have cut up the side walls a little bit, had the tyre inspected today and all is ok, it has not cut the webbing, just the rubber outer.

Kms traveled 1500kms so far

Grip Realy good on all surfaces except clay

Condition before & after tough tracks As mentioned earlier they could do with a bit more side wall protection

Road noise Good, there is a slight hum compared to my old tyres, but they where a bit bald.

Wearing evenly / not evenly Not too bad so far

Fuel consumption Got about 600kms to last tank with a combination of town, HWY and 4X4ing

Perfect Equipt thanks. That is the sort of review i was hoping for. :top:

Keep em coming folks. :fans:

Type of tyre - BFG All Terrains
Size - 265/75/16
likes - one of the more aggresive all terrains, nice square sides to help bite in, I find them very good in the sand.
dis-likes - none yet
Kms traveled - approx 15- 20,000
Grip - great on road, even in wet. I found that they really slide around a bit on loose gravel if the pressures are too high offroad. I drop them to 25psi.
condition before & after tough tracks - no chipping yet
Road noise - I didnt notice any more noise than my Highway terrains
wearing evenly / not evenly - all good so far.
fuel consumption - I didn't compare

g'day lads

Type of tyre - Maxxis Bighorns

Size - 265/75/R16

Likes & dis-likes First 3000km the bigger knobs and space between them felt soft and coming from ATs, the tyres felt a little squishy by comparison. In rain on bitumen, I feel need to drive a bit slower and break a lot earlier. Off road they're tops - gravel, rocks and mud no probs

Kms traveled - 12000km

Grip - feels good now on bitumen but not that great in wet

Road noise - much louder than ATs. never had muddies before this so nothing to compare off. Only guide is prior I'd run my stereo at point 30 (out of 100) at 100km/h. Now with the muddies on it'll be at pt 40.

Wearing - slight compression of the larger rubber but wear seems quiet good so far

Fuel consumption - Got about 600kms to last tank on ATs. Muddies giving me between 550-600km

Howdy,

Type of tyre - Cooper ST

Size 265/75/16 LT

Likes -the fact Ive done over 60000km /2.5 yrs and still have plenty of tread, great allrounder, done plenty of sand, fast gravel and slow rocky driving and do well in the mud too.

Dislikes - As the tyres where getting older from about 40000km there starting to show signs of chipping as the compound is getting harder. Road noise is more noticable the older they get too.

Grip - Can not fault them on road wet or dry, off-road even better

Wearing - is fairly even. I put that down to keeping good tyre pressures and rotations every 5000 - 10000kms

TC

Howdy all,

Type - Yokohama Geolander AT-S
Size - 265 70 R16
Likes - Fairly quiet, pretty good in the wet, looks like i'll get a good amount of k's out of them.
Dis-likes - Not really agressive and more of a HT than an AT. I'll be looking for something more chunky next set.
Kms traveled - Were on the Nav when I got it, but knew the owner. Upto about 45000 and probably about 30% left.
Grip - Pretty good in the wet as they are more of a HT tyre than AT. Gone everywhere i've pointed them on the tracks, but not made for the really rough stuff.
Condition before & after tough tracks - Did one tough trip and they pulled up very good. Track was rocky/creekbeds/dirt tracks with no signs of damage.
Road noise - Pretty quiet
Wearing evenly / not evenly - Evenly, but rounding on the edges a bit.
Fuel consumption - Standard

Overall pretty impressed with the Yokies. They haven't let me down at all and i've given them a bit of curry at times. Like said, they are a pretty tame AT, and more like a HT. I'll be going something more agressive next.

Cheers,
Guido

Type of tyre: Mickey Thompson MTZ

Size: 265/75R16

Likes & dis-likes: Good off road grip, feel confident at low pressure, haven't done a whole lot of 4x4ing before so can't compare them to anything sorry. Got a set of 5 off ebay for $1000 brand new with tax invoice.

Kms traveled: 12000kms so far

Grip: Realy good on all surfaces better in Sand than i was expecting

Condition before & after tough tracks: Tops, will comment more after this weekend, no cuts etc so far

Road noise: Pretty bad, definitely know you have muddies on but tolerable, just turn the radio up a bit.

Wearing evenly / not evenly: Bloody good, wearing a bit on the inside of front but they need rotated now, rears hardly worn at all

Fuel consumption: Made it about 2litres/100kms worse, should have kept originals for town stuff which I do 99% of my KM's on

Federal Couragia (All Terrain)

Type of tyre - Brand

Federal Couragia (All Terrain)

Size

275 - 75 - 17

likes & dis-likes

- They were super cheap, I was strapped for cash at the time and found these at $165 a pop fitted - I believe they are on eBay for $150
- Good mileage for cost - 39,000 currently and can maybe squeeze out another 10,000 and some (but 10k to be safe)
- No punctures - I work on construction sites and keep getting bolts/screws through my stock set, this set have not had any punctures
- Good on gravel roads

Dislikes:

- Not great on sand - When you deflate they just go wider as the sidewall isn't tough
- Wouldn't buy them if you are a big off-roader. They would only be suitable for the occasional (once a month hunting trip on maintained fire trails) etc.

Kms traveled

39,000km

Grip

- Road - Great
- Wet road - Great
- Gravel road - Great

condition before & after tough tracks

Cannot say - Wouldn't use these for tough off-roading, only maintained tracks (fire trails, sand etc). Good option for somebody who is just a casual weekender.

Road noise

None

wearing evenly / not evenly

Evenly - except for one tyre which is scrubbing on the outside - Started at 35,000km mark - not diagnosed if tyre or my car

fuel consumption

No change to stock tyres

Type of tyre - AT

Brand: Cheap & cheerful "Sailun" Chinese imports.

Size 270 - 70 - 16

Likes - They were cheap! I needed new tyres before our jaunt from Roper Bar to Burketown & was over paying high prices for tyres. I ran into a guy who'd fitted these to a Prado & was on his way up the Oodnadatta Track. I took a punt & paid $160 each fitted.

Good mileage for cost - 32,000 currently on them - they're about half worn.
No punctures, excellent on gravel roads.

They tow heavy loads at work every day - they earn their place.

Dislikes: None! I'd buy them again tomorrow! They are brilliant on corrugations, I had no issues in the bulldust in Lorella Springs & they drive like an AT should on road.

Grip; Road, Great - Wet road, Great - Gravel road, Great.

Condition after dirt roads/tracks - Very good, they don't chip much on the rocky stuff.

Road noise - they are a tad noisy.

fuel consumption, the same as the Bridgestones that came on the Ute when it was new.

Conclusion; not showy, but a very good tyre!

I'm about to put some on my other 4WD. These are $150 each fitted for 265 65 17's.

BFGoodrich km2 MTs
255-70-16
Fitted to a 1998 Mazda Bravo

Brilliant tyres got 80,000 kms out of them
Used mainly on rocky crappy gravel roads and muddy farm paddocks, great for both
also a fair bit of bitumen ofcourse
didnt chip or wear unevenly at all
no punctures

amazing on wet bitumen, grippy as can be
pretty good on dry bitumen too, had to swerve real hard at 100 ks once and they held on like glue surpisingly

not too noisy for muddies
fuel consumption about the same as ATs

BFGoodrich all terrains
265-70-16
Fitted to d40 Navara

Pretty good lasted about 60,000
Not bad on gravel when new but got pretty skatey once worn in
no chips and good even wear
no punctures

good on bitumen, as BFG ATs are

quiet on road
fuel use average to good

Yokohama AT-s
fitted to d40 navara
275-70-16

got them in a nice wide size, really good on bitumen

got lots of punctures on dirt roads, lost 3 to big puncture holes from rocky gravel

probly a good cheaper on road tyre for unloaded vehicles driven mainly on bitumen

not so good for work vehicle on gravel roads

ended up swapping them over to the old mazda
been fine on that, much lighter vehicle

quiet on road
fuel consumption good

Toyo open Country MTs
265-75-16
fitted to d40 navara

brilliant on rocky gravel and in mud
bitumen not bad holds tight corners at 100 without any worry

have hit some nasty rocky tracks without any chipping or punctures
will crawl over and through nearly anything