Bigger tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenie1981

Reaction score
Hello one and all, new to the forum and just been wondering about getting larger tyres for my d40. I currently have 245/70 R16
I was hoping to go to a 235/85 R16. I'm just wondering if any dual cab d40 owners have gone anything as big and also going the narrow tyre will that help the turning circle as it is like driving the QE2 atm

Any information would be most appreciated

Hello one and all, new to the forum and just been wondering about getting larger tyres for my d40. I currently have 245/70 R16
I was hoping to go to a 235/85 R16. I'm just wondering if any dual cab d40 owners have gone anything as big and also going the narrow tyre will that help the turning circle as it is like driving the QE2 atm

Any information would be most appreciated
How will a bigger tyre help your turning circle???

I was more thinking with the cutting down on the width going from 245 to 235 might help a little on turning circle. I thought the larger tyres would help get axles up higher

On my D22 I can fit 265/75R16 (31.6 inches) so 235/85R16 (31.7 inches) should fit fine, with stock suspension.. epscially since yours are thinner.. Although in my opinion, I wouldn't go 235 for offroading

why would you not go 235 for off road? all the early land rovers that explored the outback had really thin tyres?

having said that, i`ll be going 275/70/16 when i`m up for new tyres, that`s more for looks though....

Well, my opinion... The more surface area you have out bush.. the better.. be it mud, sand or rocks. That is why we air down... and thin tyres will suffer from less grip even when aired down.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go.. I'm saying I wouldn't go. Probably on highway though, you'd gain a bit better fuel efficiency (maybe)

Just read a few sites about narrow versus wide tyres and majority of them still said deflating tyres will still increase the tyres foot print it just becomes more like a bulldozers track with a narrow tyre compared to wider tyre that seems to just get more width. I'm pretty certain I'll get the 235/85 R16's

Been running cooper 285/75/16 for a while now with no worries. I do have 50mm lift and front end removed for winch bar though.

It's not about the width, it's about the length of the footprint when deflating.

Running stock 31's or big 33's, on sand it won't make a difference

tcm9669;371061 That is why we air down... and thin tyres will suffer from less grip even when aired down.[/QUOTE said:
Not necessarily so. A skinny tire will have a bigger contact patch when aired down as any tyre will. Just that they tend to elongate the contact patch more when doing so.

In some circumstances a skinny in mud (with the right tread of course) can have an advantage as it tends to cut through the soupy stuff on top to the more firmer ground underneath.

Myself I would be reluctant to use them as I wouldn't stray to far away from the size decal on the door frame because of insurance purposes. Particularly if going narrower width.

Man ive seen the soil report guys (the guys that have a massive auger on the back of their landy utes) Drive on to blocks of land down to the pumkins and just cut ditches all the way out to where they have to take the sample and then reverse back on their own tracks with those skinny old school tyres. There is no way my ute with conventional size tyres could do that!

never underestimate skinnies, but but on the highway lower profiles rule! for better steering feel at least.

Latest posts

Back