Alternator Warning light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maccad40

Reaction score
Hi All

Got a weird problem.

started the ute up and went to work this morning and noticed the check battery light and hand brake light is on as i was driving down the road.( the hand brake was not on)

So after a bit of research this arvo i did some tests and got a new battery. thinking it was the problem but is not.
So more research later i unplugged the alternator connector and both lights went out didn't try starting the car because i didn't want the alternator to over charge my battery which is running at 15 volts running.

I've gone through and checked the fuses in the glove box and under the bonnet behind the air box but nothing is blown.

any body got any ideas This has me stumped

The regulator should maintain a charge rate up to 14.4 maximum, if your accurately seeing 15 volts I wonder if the warning light relates to overcharging?, though it doesn't explain the brake light.

yes as John said, 15 volts is way to higher voltage coming from the alternator. it looks like your issue lies in the alternator as the regulator is letting in more volts than needed. i would take the vehicle to an auto electrician and have him test the alternator on car., it shouldn,t cost anything for this quick test.

another theory!
I have had these same light combination 3 times. Each time it has been the clutch pulley on the alternator, and replaced it each time. had no problem with the alternator itself.

Thanks fellas

I found the problem It was the trump alternator i bought off ebay it was faulty and sounded like the bearings are going can hear the rumbleing when i spin it.

I am a bit pissed about it though it's only 6 months old. I will have to see if i can get a refund because it has a 5 yr warranty.
But i think will be easier said then done. but will see how i go.

I don't have a lot of faith in anything that carries the name of your alternator. Obviously my thoughts are in jest but you'll understand.
Cheers
John

Latest posts

Back