Respray bullbar to match vehicle colour

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcm9669

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone resprayed the bullbar to match the vehicle colour? What sort of work is involved in doing it properly?

I currently have an Ironman bullbar and interested in respraying it. It is rusting out a bit around the edges and has a few scratches from previous owner.

Would like to know what sort of work is involved in respraying it properly and if anyone done it? Was thinking instead of black, I should spray it the same colour of the body.. would that look mint or plain ugly? Anyone done it before and have any thought?

Attached a pic for reference

Thanks

Attachments

• bullbar.jpg
    bullbar.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 176
this can work out abit costly due to the paints required for a tough finish. the most suited paint is 2 pack plus you will also need to buy a 2 pack clear coat due to your metalic car color.
so if you can handle painting with 2 pack paints you will need these;
1 x small can of Prepsol
1 x 4 litre can of Thinners
1 x 500ml of a suitable undercoat [ for 2 pack paints ]
1 x 500ml of 2 pack colour [ blue ]
1 x 500ml 2 pack clear.
plus a couple of sheets of wet and dry sandpaper ranging from 600 grit to 1000 grit.
get a price for these paints and see how you feel then. you might consider re doing the bar in black, actually black hammertone looks tops.

your better off buying a spray can of the hammer tone as the finish will come out alot better. buya litre of turpentine to wash the bar off before applying the spray paint. total cost for all should only be about $20.

I got mine done from I guy I knew that works in a body shop as a painter.
He primed the hammer tone flat and now the bar is as smooth as the body. He did it in 2 pack. Anything else just won't last.
It cost me $200, well worth it.
Have a look at my ride thread in the link below to see pictures, page 3 I think.
Same bar, but Ironman protector series with the stainless loop.

I would paint the bottom silver to match the flares and the top blue to match the body.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys. $200 isn't bad however this is something I want to do myself if possible, it's my project car so I want to do as much as possible myself..

Bar looks good tony.

Good on you for giving it a go.
I was going to but it wasn't worth my time for that money.
What ever you do use 2 pak and make sure you give it a good rub down (no shiny paint) before you prime it.

It is pretty good stuff the hammertone

Its very durable, but its not exactly going to be colour code for the vehicle is it.

My self, i prefer a nice black powder coating, especially when its already got a few scratches on it so i can step on it, nudge shit with it, use it as a bench, ect, without a worry.

If you do decide to paint it yourself and dont have a compressor, any decent auto paint shop can mix you up two-pack rattle cans. Yes, custom order, a glass vial full of hardener breaks inside the can when you shake it. They arent that dear - pretty much the cost of mixing the paint.

They'll hook you up with every thing else you will need for the job too.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks guys.. It's a bigger job than what I originally had in mind.. but it'll look good if I decide on doing it.

Thanks

Old thread and you have probably already done something. I have the same color nav as you. Mine came with an arb bull bar. And it was painted silver/grey to match the bottom two tone color. The linesof the truck actually make this look better than going the blue. Unfortunately mine is a bit old and faded and some surface rust. But it works well going the silver grey

Latest posts

Back