Suspension Question w Bullbar + Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pav_

Reaction score
Firstly, I want to apologise if anything I say here doesn’t make much sense. I’m still pretty new to the 4wd/car world so I’m still trying to get my head around everything but here goes. I bought myself a 2012 D40 Navara a few weeks ago, for work needs as well as wanting to start taking it off roading. It has come relatively stock, besides an OME suspension lift.

Obviously with a new car the first thing you want to do is modify/upgrade and the first few things I have on the list for thing to do to the Navara are your standard tyres/bulbar/under vehicle protection and this is where my question comes. With the lift on the car at the moment there’s obviously a big difference in clearance at the back compared to the front. With the installation of a steel bulbar there will obviously be added weight at the front meaning an even bigger drop at the front. The current tyres on there at the moment are 255/65r17 with a view to upgrade to 265/70r17’s or even potentially 285’s. What am I going to need to do suspension and lift wise to achieve this once the bull bar is installed?

I have attached a photo to give you all a better idea. Cheers ☺

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 181
Yeah I would be happy fitting 265's, not a problem at all. The thing I really just want to try and work out is what I can do to lift the front so it won't sag so much when I have the bull bar fitted and the new tyres put on.

is that an extra bottom leaf spring add on under the rear springs ? if so this could be making the rear so high as it could have been fitted for towing .

Yeah I would be happy fitting 265's, not a problem at all. The thing I really just want to try and work out is what I can do to lift the front so it won't sag so much when I have the bull bar fitted and the new tyres put on.

265's are not a huge tyre, you'll get nothing bigger with that sag and it may scrub the mud flaps.

A couple closer pictures of the Rear Springs/ Shackles and also the Front Spring/ Shockie would be another way to display the setup more in depth.
A slight nose down ride height should give you better handling and even up when the tub has weight or your towing but you wouldnt want the rake to be extreme. When you get the chance to, post a couple more pix. I also think somewhere near the bonnet latch there is a sticker stating when bullbar is being fitting frontal hd springs are to be fitted.

That sticker states : the fitting of front protection systems and accessories to vehicle having a combined weight in excess of 55kg requires the fitment of a positive bonnent restraint system amd HD front suspension springs

Id go with a HD front coil most likely dobinson, over a lovell shock. And possibly a HD rear leaf pack, depending on what you tow or carry, worst case a two stage spring. Bluemax gets my vote there.

Talk to John at ZORDOS suspension mate, tell him what you want to achieve and he'll sort you out.

A couple closer pictures of the Rear Springs/ Shackles and also the Front Spring/ Shockie would be another way to display the setup more in depth.
A slight nose down ride height should give you better handling and even up when the tub has weight or your towing but you wouldnt want the rake to be extreme. When you get the chance to, post a couple more pix. I also think somewhere near the bonnet latch there is a sticker stating when bullbar is being fitting frontal hd springs are to be fitted.

Here's a couple more photo's mate, and yep found that sticker when having a look this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 142
Looks like a standard arb lift to me.

Absolute rubbish. To be honest id be looking at a complete new set of gear.

Sent via smoke signals

Looks like a standard arb lift to me.

Absolute rubbish. To be honest id be looking at a complete new set of gear.

I wouldnt go as far a saying rubbish and change everything just yet. Depending on your budget after vehicle purchase Bullbar, tyres and bash plates, who knows you could be broke for the next 3-5 years:dontknow:
Seriously tho, i cant tell weather those front springs are painted black or black with dirt and grime. The rear leaf springs are holding up well. You could choose to replace the lot or just swap out the front spring/shock assembly and then maybe the rear shocks to be safe and comfortable?

Last edited:
Id go with a HD front coil most likely dobinson, over a lovell shock.

Talk to John at ZORDOS suspension mate, tell him what you want to achieve and he'll sort you out.

:rock:+1 John has the knowledge and BY FAR the best after sale service and advise

I have the same set up. The prob u have with the rear leafs, you dont have any weight on them, hence why they sit high. If you put a canopy, , draws, fridge, roof basket, long range fuel tank etc, the rear will level out to the same height as the front. If your not planning on putting much weight in the rear, get 35mm front coil strut spacers, which will raise the front and level the veh out.

20 points to rickyb
Old man emu make some of the best suspension available worldwide. They are huge in the US where people are willing to pay for quality.
Have a look at the old man emu catalog.
There are 2 options each for both front and rear setups.
With or without steel bullbar for the front.
0-400kg or 400kg+ constant load for the rears.
If your car has had OME suspension installed throughout, to get a ride angle like that, it looks as though it has the front setup for no bullbar, and rear setup for 400+kg.
If you're not going to have the vehicle constantly loaded it will always have a high ass
I have heavier option ome front and rear, steel bullbar and always
loaded for work. Sits flat as a tack

I should clarify.
Arb is good gear.
But in a d40. Incomparable to other brands that hold up high longer and don't give a race car appearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back