DIY oil changes - diff's and transfer box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelaide Paul

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is anyone doing their own servicing, (oils and fluids), to a Navara D40?
My ute is a 2013 YD25DDTi auto 4x4.
I've been changing the engine oil and filter for the past 50k kms at 10k km intervals and the next big service is now due (120,000km) so I'm interested in changing the transfer box, and front and rear diff oils. I probably will have to get a garage to do the auto oil since this model doesn't have a dipstick unlike my previous Pathfinder -it's supposed to be sealed for life but not sure who's live!
Anyway, has anyone done the transfer or diff oil changes and can share their experiences? Tips, tricks, problems?
Also, what oils did you use? The manual stipulates only Nissan Matic D ATF for the transfer box, but the diff's are less specific. The rear diff had 75W-140 stamped next to the filler but couldn't see anything on tn front diff. Would prefer to use same oil in both event if more expensive to reduce number of half full oil bottles in the shed but not sure if that's feasible.
All help or comments appreciated.
Cheers, paul

On my d22 the 2 diffs are definitely different grades and recommended full syn rear and mineral front. Yes it is a pain having part full containers everywhere.

just check the rear diff is Limited Slip and the front diff is not limited slip so you need the right oils for both diffs.

Personally, on my d22, I run 85w140 limslip in both front and rear diffs. It won't hurt a normal open centre diff to have lsd oil in it, but you will kill an lsd by putting non-lsd oil in it. I also run manual gear oil in the transfer, but yours being an auto, will be OK with atf in the transfer case. If you are going to get them to do the gearbox, you might as well just get them to do the transfer at the same time.

Latest posts

Back