Seatbelt tension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosta

Reaction score
My 2012 D22 Navara dual cab has lost tension on both front retractable seatbelts. Ive cleaned the belts and everything I can get at and no change at all. Obviously the retractor springs are losing tension. Anyone found a way of winding up the springs?

Yes. I think the problem is the reel is so full it cant retract the belt. So more tension or trim the excess seatbelt would fix problem....but has anyone tried to pull one apart?

Yes I dont want to muck around with the reel if I dont know what im doing, spring and perhaps pretensioner mechanism. The only answer I can think of is to cut 30-50 cm off the other end of the belt and resew them back on the attachment bracket. Its pretty drastic solution to nissans design fault in not allowing enough room for the belt to roll up. Typical nissan?????? My first and will be my last, too many stupid design problems.

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with the seatbelts retracting, only them gumming up in the top buckle.
For safety's sake, I would not recommend that you cut a section and stitch it up. These belts are not stitched with the cotton you find in your sewing machine.
If it is faulty, I would pull it apart and and try and figure out what is wrong with it.
If it is catus or you can't put it back together again, then buy a new or second hand retractor.
You can always use the other belt until you get one.

I agree cutting is not ideal and instead ive discovered that a gated locking clip can be used to shorten a seatbelt, so no cutting required. Target sell these for $7 and as they are used to shorten a lap sash seatbelt so it can be used in a child restraint or turn a three point seat belt into a lap sash belt (for people with certain disabilities), they are an approved item.

Yes ive tried CRC to lubricate the mechanism. The problem is a design fault in the reel area where the belt has to rub past part of the reel holding mechanism. As the reel fills up, the angle the belt is pulled past increases, and applies more friction on the belt. If the reel diameter was smaller that angle wouldnt be so large and the retractor would work. Obviously the spring is stronger when new and the belt retracts then.

At least ive found a solution which may also help others.

one thing i have had is the bolts holding the retractor had come loose (might have been the plastic surround). which meant it moves when you pulled on the belt causing the mech to lock the belt.

Latest posts

Back