Stock ECU Remapping? 2.5DCI

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well while i do like , and am in favour of remapping ( I've come across this in my motorcycle days ) until its a more excepted form of modification and easily rewritten by someone with a pc and basic skills , i still think add on like the Steinbauer Power Module is a better way to go , as your not going to have a dealer re write your $ 1000.00 ECU remap , i work in the IT industry and am component enough to do it with the right software , but i wouldn't recommend it until its idiot proof , or your going to have a zillion dead D-40 's sitting in driveways , its a little like re flashing a bios in a pc , how many on here would attempt that ? more so how many would be successful , and iam sure a dead pc is not as bad as having a dead truck !!

Last edited:
"Editing" a car ecu is nothing new. Tuners have been doing it to cars for years now, you can get software quite easily to do it with commodore and falcon ECU's in the car quite quickly. They even have "tune boxes" which hold usually a stock tune plus 3 others, so you can have an economy tune, a power tune and usually a valet tune (which just has a speed and rpm limiter set very low on it).

Personally I'd rather tune mine myself so I know exactly what's happening. Even with a chip you should really have at least an egt gauge so that's a given even if editing the factory ecu tune. It may be a bit of a headache to begin with, but once the definition files can be identified it will be a lot easier.

There may even be software out there already that works to read and write to it, its just a matter of finding out the communication protocol for that particular model of ecu...

"Editing" a car ecu is nothing new. Tuners have been doing it to cars for years now, you can get software quite easily to do it with commodore and falcon ECU's in the car quite quickly. They even have "tune boxes" which hold usually a stock tune plus 3 others, so you can have an economy tune, a power tune and usually a valet tune (which just has a speed and rpm limiter set very low on it).

Personally I'd rather tune mine myself so I know exactly what's happening. Even with a chip you should really have at least an egt gauge so that's a given even if editing the factory ecu tune. It may be a bit of a headache to begin with, but once the definition files can be identified it will be a lot easier.

There may even be software out there already that works to read and write to it, its just a matter of finding out the communication protocol for that particular model of ecu...

Yes I've seen these for cars in the past , theres quite a few on ebay , and i nearly got one myself for my falcon , problem is , the tuners are milking the 4x4 world with chips until, we as a collective lot wise up that these things are available and are plug n play , once someone does a few for the 4x4 community , chip makers will die a slow death

chip makers will die a slow death

The resistor/chip tuners should have already, about 10 years ago :)
If Nissan upgrade software on service or recall, just read it out and apply your previously tuned maps, then write it again.

Or ask dealer not to update if its nota bug fix etc.

You sir have understood :)
Have been reflashing many ecu´s for both cars and motorcycles.
And a pre-done resistor chip almost always leaves the engine running rougher and decrease durability without much power increase.
Good recipe to blow your engine if having a heavy foot...

1st post updated also with download link.
Here is a link to all firmwares i have found for the D40 2.5DCI. (EB310 is what i read out of my ecu)
http://www.mxmotard.se/Denso D40.rar

So as "bods" said, if someone has a china Nissan Consult clone we could start figuring out the CAN-OBD protocol (for flashing and logging).

Then we need someone that can help out with disassembly in IDAPro and identify the maps, data types, conversions and finding limiters/switches.
Subaru guys made a good map parser software for theese ecu´s. So finding all maps is no problem, just identify them.
Anyone experienced and willing to help please shout or contact me!

As said:
Read/Write/Recovery with ecu opened is no problem with cheap cables. With slow-free/fast-cheap, softwares.

Last edited:
Nobody in here with a Navara compatible china clone of a consult cable/program?

Was down at the tight-ass local Dealer, he said he could only program new files, but not read. So OBD programming is a FACT on theese cars.

Nobody in here with a Navara compatible china clone of a consult cable/program?

Was down at the tight-ass local Dealer, he said he could only program new files, but not read. So OBD programming is a FACT on theese cars.

Fashraf has got a Chinese Consult 3. Try PM him.

Thanks for the tip man, have contacted him and waiting for reply :)
He wrote on the thread at nissan-navara.net forum also.

I have taken a look at your rom and have made a definition file.

It is raw so there isn't any conversions applied and the function of each table is unknown but it'll give you an idea.

I need the OBD log parameter address before I can disassemble the rom further to figure out what each table does but at the moment I'm stumped.

PM sent

I have taken a look at your rom and have made a definition file.

It is raw so there isn't any conversions applied and the function of each table is unknown but it'll give you an idea.

I need the OBD log parameter address before I can disassemble the rom further to figure out what each table does but at the moment I'm stumped.

PM sent

Thanks man! Sent you an e-mail :)

Anyone else in here that can use IDAPro and read diassembly?

Some chip companies will die a slow death because they dont move forward with the times.

Others like unichip and Tunit will never die because they offer things that reflashing can never ever match.
Live tuning of multiple paramaters...
User selection of various maps depending on what the customer wants.
Additional drivers to run things such as water/meth injection.
Ability to have speed/rev limits imparted on the vehicle via bluetooth.
Being able to have the one chip you own used on up to 5 different vehicles..

Sure all of the basic manufactures like steinbauer, chipit, roo and those guys will all be dead in the years to come....

But players like unichip and Tunit that have a significantly superior product already, but also have progress ingrained into the companies ethos will survive because OEM reflashing will always have limitations because it has always been made for OEM purposes.... Not the aftermarket sector.

If you dont have anything usefull to input, leave the thread alone please.
You obviously don´t know what you are talking about so dont embarrass yourself further...

Hi guys, for reference the 2.5 dyno is a d22 not a d40.
I own ATPG here in AUS and we have a stack of dealers around the place all aboe to do the remapping of the ecus with our software.
Sadly the D40 denso ecu still requires benching to do the work but we are able to do the 550 obd.
Any questions please feel free to pm or email.

Hi ATPG,

Been slacking a bit, old injuries and shit... But will try to ID sensor variables for disassembly soon.
My problem is here in Sweden no one i can find do remapping, only diesel boxes...
Have you identified the maps for the D40 2.5DCi, can you sell me a definition or help? :)

For writing when testing maps i will solder the serial wires and make a waterproof connector outside the ecu.
As long as i manage to read the immo chip on my stock ecu and do a clone of my spare.
So the read/write is no problem for me. Just making a reliable definition. (And preferrably CAN protocol hacked for logging, instead of slow K-line)
OBD writing only shall at least be possible, factory tool does it. So sniff the commands or reverse from disassembly...

Please post as much info as you are willing/can here in the thread.
Will send you and e-mail also, really stuck at the moment. Missing the reversing code skills.

Last edited:
Hey Twice
Can you send me that D40 rom file ?
Or repost link please.

There is some progress on rom raider and other open source ECU sites
To utilise navara YD25 ECU Bins and develop definition files.
Would like to take a look at your ECU BINs.
I studied C++ answer assembly at uni so have a reasonable background to interpret
These guys.

OZ

D40'Rom

Interesting thread,

The commercial Diesel tuners charging $2000 per tune
Versus the open source programmers who just want to tune their
Cars like they used to do on their V8s.

Since I learnt C++ and assembly at UNI might try ECU hack myself
And save the $2000 for something else.

A secondhand Nav ECU sells for just over $100,
Flash your modified ROM file onto one of these, and keep your original ECU
Safe and un opened in your cupboard.

Tuners are not programmers, anything can be hacked or changed just needs
Time and dedication, the difference here is programmers in the Open Source
Community SHARE INFO FOR FREE

The more you share it, the better the solution becomes as everyone contributes
A bit.

I'm gathering a library of D40 ROMs, definition files , extended PIDs myself
PM me if you are interested .

Go on over to RomRaider , these guys have been hacking Subaru ECU for
Years and have their own software program for tuning written by 4 of the members , and it's all FREE

I will say it again , we should all able to tune our car for FREE

OZ

Latest posts

Back