Rear wheels locked up??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearindabush

Reaction score
The young bloke borrowed Bluey tonight only to get 50 Ks down the road and the rear wheels locked up without warning at about 90kph, luckily on a good straight stretch of road. I'm guessing something to do with brakes but what?

Anyone got any ideas, Bluey is a 95 4x4 dual cab

Cheers Pete

Went out to pick up Bluey only to find I could drive it in 4x4 low but would not budge in high range, drove it home at 40kph and parked it in the driveway.

Anyone heard of the transfer failing like this?

Pictures pictures pictures :) Howdy fella- weird huh! It will be interesting seeing what it was?? All the best with it! cheers vic

i would be picking blown diff bearing over gearbox.
should be able tell once you disconnect the drive shaft.

It will be something inside the transfer case. Has to be to do with the high range gears. I'd say there will be lots of chunks in there when you open it up....

Did you try both forward and reverse in high range?

I'm hearin ya, 'cept it drove home in low range but wouldn't move in high range!
may not have enough power in high range to overcome the load caused by seized bearing. hence it only goes in low range.
you will know in two sec once you drop the driveshaft.

OK, Firstly, took the drain plug out of the transfer case, very little oil.
Untitled_zpsdejmuhkm.jpg

I got the rear case off the transfer with the torsion bars in place just released and the cross member dropped a little, removing the handbrake cable gave a bit more room. So it can be done!!
petes%20phone%20495_zps22dtvmzv.jpg

Last edited:
This is what came out when I removed the rear case
shrapnel_zpsjnfadezd.jpg

Bits of bearing race I reckon.
I didn't quite get the transfer out, all the bolts are out and it's just sitting on the trolley jack, bad light stopped play. I've done the whole torsions out thing a few times, this time I wanted to see what I could get out without taking them completely out.
The 3 top transfer case bolts are easily accessible by removing the gear shift boots.
petes%20phone%20493_zpszpf3afrm.jpg

After a bit of a play late this afternoon I got the transfer separated from the gear box, I should've just dropped the torsions cause there's no way I'm getting that transfer out with the cross member in the way. I've done it a few times but I'm a stubborn old bastard so tomora I'll drop the torsions, I've already let the tension off the bars and the cross member is already undone and sitting on the jack, just gotta crack the fronts and because they've been off before I'm hoping they'll just fall off!! Might try n find some D22 torsions.

Well, after a week of rain, I finally had the chance to drop the torsion bars and cross member.
DSC_0014_zpsnmqwoga5.jpg

The torque arms slid back easily alloying the torsion bars to drop out.
DSC_0011_zpspufrsygq.jpg

I got the transfer out, cleaned up and split apart :(
DSC_0020_zpsgaamm8xt.jpg

Looking for another transfer box
DSC_0022_zps5az7my1y.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Vic, the young bloke was drivin it when the transfer let go, he reckons there was no warning but seein it now I'd imagine it didn't let go quietly :(

Latest posts

Back