ZD30 Turbo Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of progress. Adaptor is done. Basically two 10mm plates, one with a hole to suit the manifold and the other with a hole to suit the turbo, fused, portmatched and linnished.
Now the turbo is mocked in place can start on dump pipe and order some fittings.
It looks like the heatshields will go back on and there is a bit more room for the dumppipe than on the stocky.

Attachments

• d22 turbo 001.jpg
    d22 turbo 001.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 143
  • d22 turbo 003.jpg
    d22 turbo 003.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 156
  • d22 turbo 004.jpg
    d22 turbo 004.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 155
I may sound like a broken record...have Mike Vine turbo fitted, 3inch exhaust, chip, water to intercooler, Mike tuned it at 15psi...664Nm but only 134Kw at the wheels, think I had a Dyno sheet under my page somewhere
best part is he tunes it to have full boost to start at 1800rpm all the way through the rev range

Last edited:
Unfortunately i dont live in QLD.
How much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking? Do you know what turbo he used?
Those numbers are very impressive - youv'e nearly doubled your output, id be happy with a little bit more torque and broader delivery.
Do you know what dyno he has? Shootout mode? Or uncorrected?

I may sound like a broken record...have Mike Vine turbo fitted, 3inch exhaust, chip, water to intercooler, Mike tuned it at 15psi...664Nm but only 134Kw at the wheels, think I had a Dyno sheet under my page somewhere
best part is he tunes it to have full boost to start at 1800rpm all the way through the rev range
:rofl2::dummy::wristy::jackoff:

Couldnt find anything on there specific to zd30 or even any turbo specs, just a lot of dyno printouts. I guess he's keeping his cards close to his chest but it looks like a good thing for anyone who wants to go that way.

I kinda enjoy the DIY, and dont even know if this turbo will be good or not, but interested to find out. If its no good its all reversable, but looks like my stock turbo is pretty beat up so $1000 for a knock off gt2554r with extended tip wheel and .42ar T-housing seems pretty good value to me., cause Garrett dont offer those two features, and the standard replacement "billet wheel" turbos are no performance upgrade because the extra flow comes from the "extended tip technology" which they dont have. Genuine replacement turbos are dynamite.
Touch wood the China-charger works ok.

good luck, I hope all works out perfect for you, interested to know how you go, I must say it has been the best power mod I have had done, never have any power issues ...foot down and she just go's
I was lucky enough at that point to get the money, there is no way now I could afford it

good luck, I hope all works out perfect for you, interested to know how you go, I must say it has been the best power mod I have had done, never have any power issues ...foot down and she just go's
I was lucky enough at that point to get the money, there is no way now I could afford it
Looking at your dyno report in this thread you have 120hp atw. Have you upgraded since?
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=14890

Ive heard mixed results about mike vines work but it looks like you got lucky

Vine would be in his early 80's now and has Parkinsons. He uses a Garrett in his upgrades, the power increase is modest but the main focus is reliability.

Just waiting to make some more noise. Dont want to upset the neighbours! The welding looks like it was done by a 4 year old but does the job.

Attachments

• d22 dump 001.jpg
    d22 dump 001.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 132
  • d22 dump 002.jpg
    d22 dump 002.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 134
Coolant flow path - ?

Im thinking of running the coolant lines for the turbo off the heater hoses. The workshop manual has the flow path as from the cylinder head and return to the thermostat housing.

Can anyone confirm whether the return flows while the the thermostat is closed?

Im pretty sure the heater valve wont affect it because if i run off both heater hoses i will effectively be bridging/bypassing it. Its a single cab so i can afford the small loss in heater efficiency, lol.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Vine would be in his early 80's now and has Parkinsons. He uses a Garrett in his upgrades, the power increase is modest but the main focus is reliability.

Mike Vine uses a Garrett VNT Turbo as used in the early ZD30's in the patrol, combined with the Rapid brand chip which is adjustable to suit!

Mike Vine uses a Garrett VNT Turbo as used in the early ZD30's in the patrol, combined with the Rapid brand chip which is adjustable to suit!

Nice. Sounds like it would be a pretty good setup.

I was comparing the stock zd30 turbo with the gt2354r china charger before, just eyeballing it down the hole with the calipers - the stock turbine exducer is about 36mm and the china is a touch over 40mm. Bit of a worry for spool up.
Also the hole in the stock t-housing goes down to about the size of a 5c piece before it even gets near the wheel!
The compressor inducers are about the same.
Should really take the housings of both and measure properly.

So it doesnt look like it will spool up like a mike vine then - or even a stocker :(

Nice. Sounds like it would be a pretty good setup.

I was comparing the stock zd30 turbo with the gt2354r china charger before, just eyeballing it down the hole with the calipers - the stock turbine exducer is about 36mm and the china is a touch over 40mm. Bit of a worry for spool up.
Also the hole in the stock t-housing goes down to about the size of a 5c piece before it even gets near the wheel!
The compressor inducers are about the same.
Should really take the housings of both and measure properly.

So it doesnt look like it will spool up like a mike vine then - or even a stocker :(

Mate with Vine's set up combined with intercooler and his custom dump pipe and 2.5 exhaust it delivers around 140kw and 415-420nm, that's about as good as it gets as far as reliability and power goes for a ZD30, and it's there as soon as you hit the pedal,,, how do I know? that's what I have!

How would it go in a drag race with a ranger?

Don't really no in a drag race with a ranger as my truck is 2.7 ton but have driven a ranger from Brisbane to Cairns and would keep my ZD30 over the ranger on the highway any day, the ranger was shit on overtaking and fuel economy compared to mine, ranger was auto and didn't quite know what to do when putting the boot into to it when overtaking, manual would have had better results one would hope.

Does Mr Vine do anything with the air filter? I'm half and half whether i should chuck the 80's series air box in. A lot of work. Very tight fit with the intercooler pipes.

Does Mr Vine do anything with the air filter? I'm half and half whether i should chuck the 80's series air box in. A lot of work. Very tight fit with the intercooler pipes.

No, I just use the Forefront bypass pipe with a good quality paper filter and it works very well, 80 series to me is a waste of time and doesn't get any more airflow than the setup I am running as the pipe from the airbox to turbo is still the same diameter,

Latest posts

Back