D40 STX-550 bluetooth issues. Iphone.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bluester

Reaction score
I tried a search but came up empty on this issue in several pages of results.

Ever since the rollout of ios10, bluetooth calling has been broken on my STX-550 (And in my soon to be sold R52 Pathfinder, same head unit as far as I know)

Outbound phone calls are generally OK, but answering inbound calls is almost always unsuccessful. You answer the call and the display promptly returns to the nav screen or whatever else it was on before, no audio gets through in either diection (The phone shows an active call if you look at it) and the phone and car systems lock up. Sometimes after a period the audio comes through and the call can continue but generally people have hung up by then.

After that you have to wait about 30 connections and the phone will disconnect then re connect before you can do anything at all with it.

I am pretty comfortable that more or less everyone with an iphone on ios10 will have this issue, but has anyone managed to find the solution? I am almost dead certain that the solution will be a firmware update by Nissan, but has anyone found it? I have seen rumours of Infiniti updating firmware but nothing from Nissan. A couple of friends who work for dealers know of the issue but no fix.

Before anyone suggests it, hundreds of people around the world have followed the Apple suggestions ("Forget" the connection at both ends, restart both devices, reconnect, do it all again and inconvenience yourself by blowing your network settings away on the phone, then do it again by setting the phone up as a new iphone, then do it all again while standing on your head and poking your tongue out and satisfying the naked vicar clause etc etc etc)

Apples ultimate suggestion amounts to "Buy another car" which is sort of a little unworkable. I also don't really want to loose the screen functionality (Status displays, predictive path on the reverse cam etc) by replacing the head unit.

Just had a read about this and it seems to be a very widespread problem. Apple do not seem to be interested in acknowledging it. I read that if you are playing music through the phone it may be a fix as that doesn't use low energy bt so calls will use it too. Some say an update to iOS 10.3 fixed for them but many not.
Definitely cheaper to buy a new phone than new car tho...

Yeah, I have been hunting for a fix that does not involve a firmware update from Nissan ever since ios10 rolled out, no joy whatsoever. No combination of holding your mouth just right and poking your tongue out while you connect it does any better than random chance. You do tend to find that a bit. Every now and again it works properly and people think that whatever they did this time fixed it (using BT audio, connecting the phone by cable, NOT connecting the phone by cable, NOT using BT audio, you name it) If you rarely take calls on the move and you get one that works you might think it is sorted for weeks, having happily told some forums that you fixed it by doing "X"!

I am just about to update to IOS 10.3 (Corporate phone, have to wait for the business to test all business apps and give the go ahead so I can only just do it now) but to be honest I am not at all hopeful. The best information I have found since the problem came up was actually yesterday. ios10 updated the various BT profiles in the phone and obviously between apples and Nissans implementation of them the new profile that applies to BT calling is not backwards compatible.

Basically by all I have found, BT calling in the affected cars is stuffed forever more unless Nissan can and do update the firmware. The worst thing is that the next apple update could break it again even if they do sort it out. I had that happen to a previous car. I just hope the D23 I am picking up next week keeps working at least for the three or so years I will have it.

On a related note, I have been searching and it appears that the BT module may be separate to the head unit itself, but I can not find info on where it is hidden in the car. Anyone know where it is in the STX-550? Per my last post, I don't really care about the Pathfinder as that is being traded in a few days from now.

If the module is seperate, accessible and common I might even be able to just repalce it with a newer module if I can track down a manufacturer part number. I don't really expect any help from Nissan on the issue.

I'll have a look at the manual shortly but I would assume it is in the AV control unit, I too have this issue and it's becoming a real pain, My issues started when i went to 10.3 but I came from 9, I'm about to update to 10.3.2 as its just been released and I'll see if that makes a difference.

Mine started with whatever the first 10.X version the business approved (Best part of a year ago) I updated my phone to 10.3.2 yesterday as our IT folks have just given the OK for that but I am not hopeful, I have not taken a call in the car since then to test.

By all I can tell it is IOS10 updating the BT profile related to phone audio to a new version (An official BT standard, not Apple) which has proven not to be backwards compatible with the module in the cars, so I am not hopeful of ever seeing a fix on the Apple side. All anyone who queries it with Apple gets is a referral to the usual fault finding steps, the last of which is pretty much "buy a new accessory that works" (The car in this case)

Well, much to my surprise the IOS 10.3 update appears hopeful to have sorted it. This was in my Pathfinder (Which behaved much worse than the ST-X) and I had my wife make three calls to me in a row, all of which I picked up successfully and none of which resulted in the connection falling over after the call.

I have been suckered before so I am still reserving judgement and we are yet to test it in the D40 but there seems to be some hope.

Knowing my luck the 10.3 update breaks it in the D23 I am picking up in a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back