modded xr6 intercooler into the 03 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem i can see with the xr6 intercooler is the fact that we all want to do it, And now everyone on here is going to get on ebay and push the price up on the intercooler i am bidding on so piss off and stop bidding:sarcastic::dancing:

finally can get the damn pics off the camera, here they are im not happy with the inlet pipe so that will get redone when i have time.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 971
looking good. i did see a photo of someone that had run one of the pipes out through the inner guard and back in again, which i didnt think was a good idea, a bit prone to damage imo. i like what you have done,looks much safer.

Her's a couple of pics of the way I mounted my xr6 intercooler. There's a heap of room in behind the alloy bullbar so room is not a problem. Having the body lift made it a bit easier as well, total cost of the of buying the second hand cooler +fittings and pipe $ 274.00 . It took about 12 hrs in total.
Attached Thumbnails

very nicely done. i can see a few people doing this exact method.:top:

Last edited:
i dont run a body lift and the thought of running it into the wheel arch didnt fill me with confidence. cost a bit more because you need more bends but im happy with it. just for the record i took it for a big drive max speed about 80k's jumped out popped the bonnet and the difference in the pipe temps were amazing. i wasnt after better performance, just some thing to play catch the turbo debris should it shit itself.

Very interesting thread. I have been investigating an IC upgrade for my D40 and was told one out of an XR6 made a large difference over the stock one.

I doubt that the XR6 IC is any bigger than the D40's stocker:
navara01.jpg

i dont run a body lift and the thought of running it into the wheel arch didnt fill me with confidence. cost a bit more because you need more bends but im happy with it. just for the record i took it for a big drive max speed about 80k's jumped out popped the bonnet and the difference in the pipe temps were amazing. i wasnt after better performance, just some thing to play catch the turbo debris should it shit itself.

Looks the goods, Did it make any difference though?

Looks the goods, Did it make any difference though?

yeah feels better low rpm bit more torque i think i'll feel more again once the new exhaust goes on. feels restricted by exhaust flow now and there is more turbo whistle. i like it all up with modding the intercooler, pipes silicone bits clamps etc worked out to be roughly $500

Guy's new to this, would realy like some help,
Heading to brisbane at Christmas and would like to get a water to air intercooler fitted, D22, also who would you recommend to dyno tune, have a Tunit chip, 3inch Taipan exhaust, egr mod:idea:

got my cooler all plumbed and mounted tonight, used 2" steel pipe, powdercoated. ran the pipes through near the top right corner of the radiator and cut a small hole about 50mm below the washer bottle and had my second pipe come through there.

more photos tommrrow but doing it this way was very simple and didnt require me to run it throough the wheel well.

cooler.jpg

Nice fellas keep the pics coming.... My Xr6 turbo intercooler should arrive at my door step tomorrow... hopfully get it mounted by the weekend and can start the pipe work over the weekend... Fitted my Steinbauer chip tonight and made a maassiivvee difference, bring on the snorkel exhaust and cooler i say :-D

I'm really wanting to do this mod to save some money on buying one of the expensive kits but can someone post some pictures of the pipework at the turbo end please?

Also does can someone tell me where I could buy 2' pipe and bends, etc. I cant make my own as I have neither the skill or tools, any help would be great guys

A local fabrication shop should be able to knock up the bends for you, or you can buy universal aluminium intercooler pipe kits off ebay (not sure how many bends or at what degree each bend needs to be at but you might be able to get one of these kits to work for you).

hey guys got a few questions if anyone could help.

I'm looking at knocking up my own kit with ebay specials but i cant find the proper intake pipe with the bit coming off for the hose to go on with the generic piping kits.

also what size od are needed for the piping?

Hey boogz have you read my intercooler thread in diy section. It may help.With that fitting for small bit of tube, you will have to weld a new fitting into new section of inlet pipe.

Its 2 and a quarter inch from memory.

Post up a wanted ad for someone on here to weld a piece on if you want.

There is plenty of people on here good with metal.

Latest posts

Back