Waterproofing for deep water

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTMike

Reaction score
2009 D40 STX....trying to waterproof my D40 for deep water crossings, 1m plus, fully submerged engine bay, also increased exhaust back pressure...made obvious adjustments, snorkel, rear diff breathers, extended gearbox, transfer case breathers.....but need some suggestions on the engine and electrics, has anyone had experience with ths...

Looks like you have covered the basics, water that deep I pull over for a cuppa and let it cool down. Use a tarp tied back to the mirrors you can also disable the fan with some twine, and spray all electrical connections with wd 40 while you wait. Make sure your snorkel is 100% sealed also.

Yep 450mm is now what Nissan regard as the wading depth. When the d40 first came out they promoted 600mm wading and 3tonne towing to boost sales. I think 600mm is a tad high without a snorkel and an unexperienced driver, the link I shared a few posts back highlights that. The breathers are fine for what we use our cars for, the worst thing is to charge into deep water with a hot motor, transmission and diffs. This is when any moisture around vital parts contracts, and the water is ingested.

Haha ... there's a good reason for that.

The cabin on a LC is about 4m long, about 1.4m wide and might be 1.2m high. That's around 6.7 cubic metres, which means that it would have to weigh over 6.7 tonnes to sit on the bottom of the water.

It's like a boat - a boat displaces a certain amount of water and you will see cargo ships measured in terms of tonnes of displacement - that is referring to how much water WOULD be in the space occupied by the boat. One cubic metre holds 1,000 litres of water and weighs (pure water) one tonne. Nice and simple (which is especially important for me coz I dunt like my brussel sprouts).

By comparison, the D40 Navara has a cabin 1.4m wide, about 1.6m long and 1m high. That's a displacement of 2.24 cubic metres = 2.24 tonnes. If the car weighs more, it sinks. If it weighs less, it floats.

Remember that the tub needs to be added to that equation.

Work out your potential displacement, and make sure that you weigh MORE than that, or you'll need to also fit an outboard motor!

Back