3" D22 Exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonky

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm currently tossing up whether to bite the bullet and pick up a 3" exhaust, I'm thinking 3" from the turbo back, so new dump pipe and cat, what sort of money have folks paid, and was it worth it?

I saw a post over at 4wdaction forums about the Taipan XP kit, but it is a bit too pricey for my budget.

Hey Shonky.

I recon the best thing to do would be to buy a pre made dump pipe and have a local exhaust shop make you up a system from that.

I saw that post as well on the Taipan system. Looks good but price is crazy in my opinion.

I dont think you would go too far wrong with that mate.

Wish it was on there when I got mine.

Only $200 more than I paid for no dump or cat.

nice, i looked at that kit and sent the guy an email askin about it, he didnt reply so i went and got a custom 1 made up. price was good until the cat got brought into it. 3'' dump pipe and cat straight through no muffler. just gota make friends with the inside of the cat now:wink:

i just would like to get my hands on a dump pipe. no one over here makes any, local shop won't make one from scratch and the assie ones are double the price of everthing else for these motor for some werid reason.

anyone know where i can get a resonable priced one ??

Shonky this looks like a pretty good deal, I'll be very interested in seeing some pics of the install and the quality of the system as like everyone else I think the taipan systems are very good but I think at the end of the day it is a lot of money to pay for a couple of lengths of pipe. Looks promising..

Picked up the system today, here's a sneak peek, sorry about the quality, only had the phone handy. Will be doing the install on Saturday, will post up more pics then. :smile:

DSC00108.jpg

Will do, the dump pipe is pretty basic, it's not a cast one like most others make, it is just the 3" pipe bent up and flattened to fit into the turbo flange, but I'd say it is still a lot larger than the standard dump pipe, I compared it to my old man's original 4.2 TD Patrol dump pipe and it is a fair bit larger than that internally.

The factory dump pipes are a joke.

The aftermarket systems make a huge difference.

Dave.

Ok, it's done! What a day, had a couple of things I didn't anticipate.

1. Two studs on turbo are about 60mm long to suit the standard dump pipe, this meant that to get the dump pipe off the turbo, it required the turbo to come out altogether, in the pic you will see the bit of tube I used on the long stud, also I had to remove 2 of the studs and swap them round to get the dump pipe on. One good point about this was I now know my turbo is in good nick, no slop in the bearings and it spins freely.

2. Holes on the turbo side flange didn't quite line up with the studs on the turbo, this required the holes in the dump pipe to be enlarged, had to go up about 1mm in diameter to get the studs through cleanly.

3. The brackets that hold the muffler up were about 2 inches long, which meant I had to cut them and weld back together to get the correct length.

4. The last stage of the pipe was longer than the original to the point that the pipe poked out under the rear bumper, while it looked good from the rear it was going to be a disaster off road. I've dropped the rear bumper on enough things to know that the next time I went out wheeling the pipe would have been crushed completely, the fix was to just cut the pipe back to the original length back next to the spare wheel.

5. One on going problem to still sort, the bugger is bashing on the cross member at the rear of the transfer case under medium to hard accelleration in 1st and 2nd gear, not sure if this is a problem with the pipe, or my engine and gearbox mounts are on their way out because when you load up the engine with the bonnet open you can see the rocker cover lean over a good 20mm, probably equals 4-5 degrees of twist.

Also I found if I swing on the tail shafts out of the transfer case I can move the transfer case up and down a good 20mm just with my own body weight.

Now the bad is out of the way, on with the good. The engine is a lot more responsive, boost is on a little earlier, where before it would only do 9-10 psi at 2000 rpm, it now does 12 psi, and by 2500 rpm it's up to 15 psi, it didn't use to get to 15 psi until about 3000 rpm.

Cruising on 100ks boost is sitting on about 10 psi, was 6-8 at this speed, exhaust temps are much improved, at 100 it was sitting on about 320 degrees C, on the old system it would site around 370-380 degrees.

Noise levels aren't too bad, got a deep burble to it at idle outside the vehicle, can't hear anything different inside with the windows up, and it's got a nice turbo whistle to go with it which sounds pretty horn. :smile:

New dump pipe versus old
exhaust1.jpg

Pissy Nissan bend versus mandrel bend goodness.

exhaust2.jpg

Would I do the install myself again? Hell No, I'd pay someone else to do it.

Do I think getting the exhaust done on a D22 Navara is worth it? Hell yes, the motor is just so much more snappy, boost is on sooner, and exhaust temps are lower.

Ok, I need a beer and a lie down, my back is killing me.

Nice work Shonky. Both on the exhaust and the post. Thanks.

Even though it needed a bit of work to fit id say its still bloody good value.

I guess it's still good value, just as well I had the gear to rectify the problems with the system, I'd hate to see someone without a drill press or welder have a crack at it, I reckon it would fairly suck to pull your entire system out and then have to put it back cause the new one didn't fit.

If someone wants to have a crack at fitting it themselves, grab a system from the more reputable sellers and it would probably be a whole lot easier to fit up. It's not all that hard to do it, pulling off the turbo was surprisingly easy too.

Latest posts

Back