Opinions on re ring and bottom end bearings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranvel

Reaction score
Hello all, Being in the 400k club I have been thinking about maintaining the longevity of the donk in my 06 3 litre d22.

I don't want to go crazy and spend like 4k on a rattle gun special reco which turns into a shitheap

I was thinking about the idea of just doing the bottom end shells, pistons, rings and a new turbo and leaving the head and pump as is as it still works fine. Am i dreaming? dont have a squillion to spend.

as a side note I was looking at the reco at http://www.lewisengines.com.au/zd30-performance-engines-balanced-new-quality-parts/

what sort of difference is there between that 9k and a 4k rebuild?

I plan on keeping this ute until its nothing more than a rusting shell as I cant stand any of this new electric/annoying chiming/plastic rubbish and I love it.

Have rebuild a few old perkins tractor engines but this is slightly more advanced than a 4.236 with drop in sleeves!

Cheers.

Jacko.

Im far from being an expert on this so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

If its going ok, just keep on going with it and save that cash incase something does go wrong.
If you've got this far u may never need to touch it.

Its going to be costly to do anything to it unless you diy, but there will be lots of hours.

If you were going to touch the bottom end id be pretty sus about leaving the head as is, im quite sure the heads on these are usually the first thing to go.

If anything maybe change the turbo and or fit an intercooler.

Just my 2 bobs.

cheers mate.

my original plan was to pull it out and give it a birthday but situation has changed a bit, couple of months ago my SS got drowned in the floods (no big deal, thats what insurance is for) which leaves me without a spare car so i can have the ute off the road for a prolonged period.

DIY is no problem, got a hoist and all the gear at home.

I was looking at fitting an intercooler and new turbo but after emailing Jaime He thinks the IC wont fit behind the winch.

Its a little rattly in the bottom end but that's to be expected with so many KM

Cheers.

Jacko.

Latest posts

Back