ZD30 Turbo Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I think the bolt patterns are slightly different, both the patrol and the d22 have a triangular 3 bolt pattern to the exhaust manifold but the patrol one is slightly different, Id be guessing you would need to use the patrol zd30 exhaust manifold as well

Cheers mate, iv'e been scrutinising gasket dimensions and what not too nut out how to do the adapter, and i think you are bang on the money that the patrol and navara 3-bolt flanges are different, and the patrol manifold sits the turbo much further forward.

After doing some more reading, i think i made the right hoice with the mambo 2554r. If their wheel specs are correct and with the .42 A/R and ceramic bearings it should spool up like a sick c*nt, fingers crossed. I'm excited.

Have you looked into Vnt turbos? I think you will find they will be far superior to any waste gated turbo, especially on a small diesel. I may go to Vnt on my 2.5 if I cannot sort out the issues we are having with the compounds

Have you looked into Vnt turbos? I think you will find they will be far superior to any waste gated turbo, especially on a small diesel. I may go to Vnt on my 2.5 if I cannot sort out the issues we are having with the compounds

I did breifly look into it, but i dont understand the technology and a bit scared of it and getting it to work properly, lol. I've already ordered a taiwanese gt2554r with small turbine a/r. I'll see how that goes first, if im not happy with it I'll look more heavily into the Vnt.

i think i made the right hoice with the mambo 2554r.

No idea until it arrives, did you buy a dodgy turbo or a t-shirt.

Being Mambo it must be Australian made.

tumblr_mzmdvqmvQv1qjpunzo1_400.png

If they are set up correctly then they will be as good as if not better than my compound setup. You need a module capable of controlling the boost e.g. Unichip or DTE module. Then just run a MAP sensor and use the fuel trim function on the module to control the fueling

If they are set up correctly then they will be as good as if not better than my compound setup. You need a module capable of controlling the boost e.g. Unichip or DTE module. Then just run a MAP sensor and use the fuel trim function on the module to control the fueling

Yeah, kinda wanted to avoid that. Plus the mechanism in the VNT looks very complicated and finicky for something that gets constantly blasted with hot soot, and then there are mounting problems with the extra size and length - have to redesign too much stuff.

No idea until it arrives, did you buy a dodgy turbo or a t-shirt.

Being Mambo it must be Australian made.

tumblr_mzmdvqmvQv1qjpunzo1_400.png

Lol, dodgy turbo, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it comes with a free t-shirt or multi-coloured chinese boost guage or something, lol. But its not Mambo - although that would be awesome.
This is it here; http://shop.mambatek.com/Ball-Beari...n-Y60-Patrol-RD28T-002-0416.htm?categoryId=-1

Works out not much cheaper than the Garret, but gets a smaller turbine A/R and billet "GTX" aero compressor. Plus more universal mount friendly compressor housing and trick wastegate actuator.
Reading on patrol forums and whatnot, rd28 gets full boost at 2000rpm with genuine gt2554r, with I assume .65 T-housing (smallest garrett offer) so I'm hoping for earlier spool than that.

Last edited:
Ive got a chip express chip, It seems to really tip it in at low revs and even when its adjusted to about half way seems like a fairly aggressive tune, so I'm just kinda hoping i can simply dial it in just going off EGT's and gut instincts, lol.
Do you reckon that will be allright?

This bloke is running a gt 2560r

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-13-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-13-42.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 144
Yep, I saw that the other day on the facebook page and thought of this thread.

Yeah i saw this thread the other day and tried looking for that post on fb but couldnt find it. But the bloke re posted it again

Thats getting up towards STX 550 territory. I wonder what it drives like, laggy or not? gt2560r is comparable size to the EFR6258 by the way, which should deliver more everywhere.

Last edited:
Edit scratch that, i was thinking 2860. 2560 is very similar to 2554 but with a larger turbine i believe. Id be very interested to know what the delivery was like on that setup.

No idea what it drives like. Maybe try to get in contact with him and ask about it? It is for sale. Think his from queensland. Heres another pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-14-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-14-01.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-14-01-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-29-05-14-01-1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Quick search on Gumtree and his ad came up (im not on arsebook) I didnt want to annoy him so just flicked a quick email asking about turbo spool. He reckons its very torquey, makes boost at 1500, full boost at 3000, tows well and overtakes easily in 5th.
I didnt ask but i'd assume turbine housing A/R would be .63 as thats the smallest garrett do. So thats good news for me with a smaller turbine wheel and A/R.

Looks like a nice rig by the way, someone should buy it!

Turbo finally landed. Took him two weeks to send it, and then it got here in three days. Pretty impressed with the quality at first glance. Castings look really nice. Came with a balance report. They used Instapak packaging which is pretty slick.
Work should start this weekend. Its my work rig and daily so its a bit of a commitment.

Latest posts

Back