4WD & ABS warning lights HELP

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakour

Reaction score
Hi all...
just today I was at Rainbow Beach doing the thing... going through the Rocks in a bit of water... enough to splash the sides... and about 3ks down the beach headed towards Double Island Point, the ABS and 4WD lights on dash board stated to flash(4WD), ABS constantly on.
turned car off and 4WD wasOFF for a bit then came back on flashing. ABS is still on.
any ideas or feed back.
ive been trough crossings before and never an issue till now.
Cheers

Driving in salt water hey, thats not good. unless you may have hit a rock and disturbed something under the car all i can think of is some water has worked its way into a plug end causing a bad connection. have a good look under the car and spray some wd-40 or simular around any plugs etc and check any small rubber hoses.

Water is the culprit in my guessing.. im 100% sure no rocks are involved as we were driving on sand getting through the rock are. Tomorrow will inspect ABS sensors and flushing them with WD40.
As for 4WD sensor... where may I find IT? Is it 1 of 3 under the transfer box?
any pics to help locate accurately?
cheers

I think the 4wd light and the abs light both come on together as a result of the one problem. i just replace an alternator clutch pulley, and the both handbrake light and battery light came on together for the one problem.

4WD light will come on if ABS has failed so that you know you can't engage 4WD.

ABS can fail because of gunk in the sensor too - a split CV boot might cause this, or a failed wheel bearing (happened to me). If the car makes different sounds during left and right corners taken at the same speed then it's a front wheel bearing causing the issue (and if the noise is louder in a left hand turn, it's the right hand wheel bearing and vice versa).

This problem is often caused by corrosion in the electrical connector that sits under the vehicle on the drivers side just behind the front wheel arch. All the wires for the ABS and stability control are routed through this connector. From what I can see on my own vehicle this junction is open to the elements and would not be water proof. Hard to believe they would put such a junction in a place so exposed to the elements, salt water would not do it much good.

Given the fact
That ive crossed fresh water creeks as well as salt water... can some one explain to me why does everyone quench when you mention salt water ?
Red October... you are right as far as that junction box you mentioned... its a disaster waiting to happen... amd who would have guessed to even look there for a.possible fault... GOOD MENTION !!

Probably because salt water is ionic. Ionic fluid allows electrical conduction and an item filled with ionic fluid will have crystals form in it when the fluid evaporates. Also, being ionic, oxidisation of iron/steel/copper/aluminium is nearly guaranteed and the oxides of those metals are NOT conductive.

In simple terms, salt water usually will cause a layer of oxide on electrical connections whereas fresh water usually won't.

Well... reporting back on the 4WD & ABS warning lights issue... followed on Red October's sugestion, I pulled all 3 sensors from under car, and the mentioned 'junction box'. Which looks like it has never been pulled apart since it left the factory floor. Cleaned it all with electrical contact cleaner and a lot of dirt flushed out... having no more issues with warning lights so far.
Although I tried to remove 4WD and other sensors as mentioned somewher above... tried to use a deep 21mm socket after removing connector of course, and it kept slipping away, so I tried to get one from SuperCheap, and they dont stock 20mm.
any ways .. just a bit of feedback regarding this issue that could be usefull for someone else also...
thanks for your input guys !

Latest posts

Back