Engine miss on cold start - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekka

Reaction score
On first start in the morning engine idles very rough almost like it has a misfire. Sometimes if I leave ignition on for 10 or 15 seconds it seems to start Ok.
Do these have anything similar to the old style glo plugs to heat diesel for easy starting? Had checked by Nissan at last service (130,000k) but no problem found. Runs perfect after temp starts to rise.
Any advice appreciated.

have you tried any diesel cleaners or injector cleaners.
the molly diesel purge plus has helping mine on the first starts.

Yes, all diesels have glow plugs. Diesel fuel only ignites under compression because by compressing the fuel it reaches a high enough temperature to cause ignition. Glow plugs help that when the engine's cold.

If yours is "missing" when cold, the first thing to do is to check the glows - power to each, continuity etc. If the glows are ok you might consider chucking a bottle of injector cleaner through just in case they're a little gummy and sticking when cold. Skullbone has pointed you to the good stuff (Liqui Moly).

Hi,my V9X has the same problem. Had not started the car for about 2 weeks, when i did it sounded like it had a bad miss with the engine shaking. Lasted for about 5 seconds and then righted itself. If the car is used on a daily basis you can feel is shake for about 1to2 seconds.
This engine is loosing coolant between 10,000k services. Drops about 10mm on the side of the overflow bottle, is this normal for V9X in regards to the coolant ?
Bring up this issue with Nissan at servicing, but they can't find anything wrong.

There is no glow plug warning light like the 2.5. They still exist, so if you wait for 5 to 10 seconds with the ignition on it will start far more smoothly.

yep there is a light and prob still on after the light goes out.
hard to test correctly with out pulling them out.

after reading this got us thinking about glow plugs.
have to put diesel condition every few tanks to keep it starting smooth.
I check the glow plug ohm at the front plug, well at least that is where i think the plug wiring goes to. found out all the same ohm good.
then looked at the earth from battery add star washes to both blots, engine and chassie.
i also found alot of dirt built up around the glow plugs. got out air compressor and blew this area clean.
starting bit better now. touch wood...
would love to do a earth up grad to everything one day when i find the time.
I hope this may help others.

Hey Ekka
My v9x was sitting at work for 2 weeks.
went to start it,ran roughly and cut out!
started again,ran like a pig for a couple of minutes then ok.
drove 500km no worries.
next day drove the car and it went into limp mode and engine light came on!
Took it to nissan who diagnosed a valve body fault(solenoid)on the inlet manifold.
$300:00 dollar repair!
Parts and labour.
Nissan reckon they hadnt had it happen before?(parts rare)
Your prob sounds similar?

Rough and lousey starting

My old D21, SD25, was doing the same, so I pulled all the Warmers and cleaned them and refitted all of them, I then wondered about my Earth connections and renewed as many as I could find, as well as setting up a Dash Button for the Warmers and made them a Manual setup from the "relay" on the "Right Mudguard"

For starting, I park my rather Large Bum in the "Ejector Seat" turn on the key and push the Warmer Button and count too Twenty, Turn on my Electric Lift Pump
and hit the Start Button, and all hell brakes loose!

The Niegbours Babies are all awake, and the Chooks stop laying, and my day has started once more!

I have no more cold Morning starts!

Solutions:

Good Earths all over.
Clean Warmers.
Direct connection to the Warmer Relay.
No more missing!
Good Luck!

highway man!:deadhorse:

Finished up running a can of Liquid Moly Injector cleaner thru it and the problem gradually went away.

Latest posts

Back