Compressor Test: ARB vs Tigerz11 Thumper compressor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Well, b4 the Tigerz11 20%+ sale ended last Monday, I managed to buy one of their 12v Thumper Compressors. After reading the 4WD Action article and seeing that in the 0>$250 price range that the Thumper came 2nd overall (I think... depends on how u read the results of each test). The price was reduced from the std $229 down to $119 so I thought it was worth the risk to get one.
I was very surprised to see the build quality, very good for the price and had the proper size hose fittings too which meant I could use my air hose in the Shed. The size was a little larger than I'd hope for but still good for the $$.

I tested it on the Nav by letting the Air completely our of the front RHS tyre then proceed to inflate in 1min intervals & then check the pressure in the Tyre. The results were (Tyre Size: 255/70/16):

After 1min: 15psi
After 1min (2mins in total): 25psi
After 1min (3mins in total): 37.5psi
After 1min (4mins in total): 50psi

The compressor felt warm but not that hot. At the compressor hose fitting though it was too hot to touch. The Nameplate said it draws 45amps.

When I get some time, I'll do the same test with my little ARB compressor to compare the differences......

Does anyone else have these Tigerz11 12v compressors??

rob

Last edited:
I've got the ARB twin compressor in the truck, so if I get time over the weekend I'll give that a run as per your testing method and report back. (IF I get time that is)

I've got the ARB twin compressor in the truck, so if I get time over the weekend I'll give that a run as per your testing method and report back. (IF I get time that is)

No worries, but yours should blitz those times easily but also it's a lot more in $$ than the tigerz11 one too.

I just updated my 1st post to include the tyre size as that has a bearing in the time taken to inflate the tyre.

Here's the link to the 4WD Action Compressor Test:
Issue 169 Air Compressor Comparo Corrections

Yeah, I should like to think it'll blitz those times, but I may even unplug one of the compressors to make it more fair?

Plus I'm just curious to see what kinda times it can do.

I have the Rydge Ryder version from Super Crap Auto which looks exactly the same as the Tirgerz, Terrain Tamer, and Ironman ones just painted different.
I will do the same test and post up the results, only my tyre size is a bit different. 265/75/16

Last edited:
are you guys pumping tyre up with the weight of the car on flat tyre ?
i will test my ebay no name compressor also

I wil do mine while on the car.
Rob does say front right tyre but not anything about the car being on a jack, so i assume it means with all the weight on the tyre.

hope the ARB one wins, i will feel much better about spending over $500 on my ARB compressor

I bought one of those ARB ones that u get for Diff locks + for pumping up your tyres, but I never got my lockers, so I just installed it in a box for portability. It's fast and I'm betting it will beat the Tigerz11 as well, but it does get very hot around the hose connection.... Will do the test when I get time....

I bought one of those ARB ones that u get for Diff locks + for pumping up your tyres, but I never got my lockers, so I just installed it in a box for portability. It's fast and I'm betting it will beat the Tigerz11 as well, but it does get very hot around the hose connection.... Will do the test when I get time....

And the ARB twin compressor is just two of those smaller ones put together and feeding into a small shared manifold...

OK....
I re-did the test again, but this time I did it so I was using the same tyre pressure gauge. Last time I was using the inbuilt one on the Tigerz11 one.

Results were surprising as the Tigerz11 was quicker than the ARB compressor, but not by much. For a $119 I reckon its a good buy..... long term durability will probably be the issue though:

ARB results:
1min - 10psi
2min - 23psi
3min - 35psi
4min - 46psi

Tigerz11 Thumper results:
1min - 11psi
2min - 25psi
3min - 37psi
4min - 49psi

I did the same test by removing the valve and letting all air out of the RHS front tyre. The weight of the car was still on the tyre (ie: it wasn't jacked up)

I'm lead to believe that the ARB compressor is better suited to handle the under bonnet conditions and a bit more resistant to water. I'll probably mount the ARB one in the engine bay of the missus car (Prado) and use the Tigerz11 between my Nav and my other toy Zook. It will get more of a workout this way.

rob

Well, b4 the Tigerz11 20%+ sale ended last Monday, I managed to buy one of their 12v Thumper Compressors. After reading the 4WD Action article and seeing that in the 0>$250 price range that the Thumper came 2nd overall (I think... depends on how u read the results of each test). The price was reduced from the std $229 down to $119 so I thought it was worth the risk to get one.
I was very surprised to see the build quality, very good for the price and had the proper size hose fittings too which meant I could use my air hose in the Shed. The size was a little larger than I'd hope for but still good for the $$.

I tested it on the Nav by letting the Air completely our of the front RHS tyre then proceed to inflate in 1min intervals & then check the pressure in the Tyre. The results were (Tyre Size: 255/70/16):

After 1min: 15psi
After 1min (2mins in total): 25psi
After 1min (3mins in total): 37.5psi
After 1min (4mins in total): 50psi

The compressor felt warm but not that hot. At the compressor hose fitting though it was too hot to touch. The Nameplate said it draws 45amps.

When I get some time, I'll do the same test with my little ARB compressor to compare the differences......

Does anyone else have these Tigerz11 12v compressors??

rob

Last edited:
my test results with my ebay special ($129 delivered out of melbourne)
using same conditions as rob
readings were taken with arb tyre deflator
1min 9 psi
2 min 24psi
3 min 36 psi
4 min47 ps
have had compressor for 18 mths and it gets a lot of use
it tops my tyres up from 16psi to 38psi when coming off beach easily ,have done 2 cars in a row quite often
it does get quite hot after 2 cars

Last edited:
hope the ARB one wins, i will feel much better about spending over $500 on my ARB compressor

I paid only 300 and a bit for mine...

remember guys...its not only about the price and/or how quick it may pump at new, but how and what its constructed from and how long it lasts.

my test results with my ebay special ($129 delivered out of melbourne)
using same conditions as rob
readings were taken with arb tyre deflator
1min 9 psi
2 min 24psi
3 min 36 psi
4 min47 ps
have had compressor for 18 mths and it gets a lot of use
it tops my tyres up from 16psi to 38psi when coming off beach easily ,have done 2 cars in a row quite often
it does get quite hot after 2 cars

That's very similar to my ARB and TigerZ11 ones.... the ARB one is quite a bit smaller than the TigerZ11 one so if you're struggling on room, then the ARB would be better. According to the specs the ARB draws about 25 amps vs 45amps for the TigerZ11. The cable on the tigerz does get warm too so it maybe a bit under size for it's current draw.

I paid only 300 and a bit for mine...

remember guys...its not only about the price and/or how quick it may pump at new, but how and what its constructed from and how long it lasts.

Exactly, the ARB compressors are fully submersible (apart from the intake, obviously) and fully serviceable. Now for some times...

Front right wheel, from 0 PSI, with the weight of the car on it with the ARB twin compressor.

00:00 - 0 PSI
01:00 - 16 PSI
02:00 - 25 PSI
03:00 - 44 PSI.

Then I stopped, cause I only needed 38 in the front.

Exactly, the ARB compressors are fully submersible (apart from the intake, obviously) and fully serviceable. Now for some times...

Front right wheel, from 0 PSI, with the weight of the car on it with the ARB twin compressor.

00:00 - 0 PSI
01:00 - 16 PSI
02:00 - 25 PSI
03:00 - 44 PSI.

Then I stopped, cause I only needed 38 in the front.

WOW... that twin compressor one makes quite a bit difference too.... curious, what sort of $$ do they sell for?

Latest posts

Back