V9X turbo damage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemr44

Reaction score
Hi has anyone herd/ Experienced debris going through the turbo on the V9X engine? This has occurred at approximately 2700 KMs on a ute 2 months old. Any feedback/ knowledge, would be much appreciated.

Any turbocharger would suffer similarly. Our turbos spin around and sometimes above) 100,000rpm - at those revolutions, impacts can be catastrophic. You may have a cracked impeller (possibly hard to see without removal and x-ray) and that may cause the turbocharger to self-destruct. There are two pieces of good(ish) news here:

1) If your turbo does self-destruct, your intercooler will catch all of the significantly-sized fragments (if not everything) saving your engine from an otherwise certain death

2) Your car will still be driveable, but it will perform much more like a 1970 Kombi.

Did your air filter collapse?

When the technician at the dealership found this he was quite shocked and said he had never herd or seen anything like this on the V9X. spoke with parts at the dealership where I purchased the Ute and they said they had replaced a few turbo’s on V9X, when I spoke with the technician that is working on my Ute he said when he spoke to Nissan they told him sometimes on these a piece of gasket is misaligned when they are put together. The part of gasket brakes of and goes through the turbo and puts it straight in to limp mode. When the technician inspected it he found were the gasket had broken from.
The technician and I are still a bit concerned that something may have gone through the motor causing damage to valves and seats, the cylinder head, pistons and block. Nissan only allow the turbo to be replaced though.
When this happened I was driving along thought id, pull out to pass a car and had nothing. I slowed to a stop but there was never an ounce of white smoke, rattle, or vibration. When I pulled up, I disconnected the battery to try clear any minor fault codas, when I restarted the engine the engine light came on then it was up to roadside assist.

If you want to see if there's any other damage, I'd get a compression test done. The glow plugs are removed, a pressure meter is connected and the engine is cranked over. There are limits to how far each cylinder can vary from the others - if one cylinder does vary by too much (below the others), it's possible that that cylinder has suffered some damage to the valve seats.

Is it a metal gasket or a card/rubber one? A bit of metal getting allthe way to the moter will cause damage but a softer material i doubt would kill the engine. Either would damage or destroy the turbo i would think. Have a check of of the MAF. If its damaged it wont run at all. I would think the engine would run even if the turbo was shot, but i dont really know the v9x setup.

Hi, my V9X also runs like a 1970 car with 50 HP. It seems the turbocharger does not build any pressure. Car has 225.000 kms. Has anyone experience if the turbocharger can be replaced without dismounting the whole engine? Thanks, Tom

Latest posts

Back