Anyone got Ideas?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overthemood

Reaction score
Hopefully i'm posting this in the right forum.

Ok hopped in the Nav St-r 3.0 2006 Diesel and headed up the road 100m in to the ride i heard this horrific noise put it down to the building site i was driving past.

Got another 200yds or so up the road and realised the noise was from my car. Pulled over stopped turned the engine off and waitied.
There was a full on stink of electrical burning. As quick as the smell came it went.

So started her up and all was well, went home, another 500yds down the road. Pulled in turned all off went indoors. Car cooled down

Went back out to go pick up child from school, started her up the engine cranked over heaps rev counter going nuts eventually started - engine purring

On way back trying to start - same thing - turned over heaps of times then eventually fired rev counter going nuts. Malfunction light came on

Took her to my regular mechanic who reckoned it was the crank angle sensor - he replaced that today said it has improved a bit but still not 100% with the starting, the rev counter still going nuts, malfunction light still coming on but not giving him any 'diagnostic number' when he runs the machine thingo test.
However as he says once the Ute has started the engine purrs like nothing is wrong.

He said he would ponder it over weekend and come back to it monday.
....any ideas or suggestions i can make to him???

Thanks in advance :)

If he's replaced the crank angle sensor with a new one it shouldn't be the CAS.

I'd look at the fuel system too. Easiest way to check is to squeeze the primer bulb (in the fuel lines up near the fuel filter). It should be hard to squeeze - or it should only take one or two squeezes tops to get very hard. If you can squeeze it 5 or more times and it's still soft, you probably have air in the line. It could be a crack in the fuel line or a bad seal - this often happens after changing the fuel filter.

If there was a fuel problem wouldnt the engine sound odd when idling?

Thanks for the replies BTW

I have seen this a few times. And i know its going to sound stupid.
But first thing to check, was the original crank angle sensor damaged?

I have had two come in with the exact same problem and it was caused by the CAS gear coming loose and moving all over the place resulting in car that was very hard to start,Sometimes ran like a bag of S*@T and sometimes good, Occasionally threw a CAS code, made occasional weird noises from the bellhousing area, and had an extremely erratic wave form from the CAS (as the wheel was moving towards and away from it in an eccentric manner).

If your mechanic has an oscilloscope get him to do a scope of the CAS to check for fluctuations.

Thanks everyone.
I will certainly mention all these things to him on Monday and will hopefully post the answer then.
Cheers

If he's replaced the crank angle sensor with a new one it shouldn't be the CAS.

I'd look at the fuel system too. Easiest way to check is to squeeze the primer bulb (in the fuel lines up near the fuel filter). It should be hard to squeeze - or it should only take one or two squeezes tops to get very hard. If you can squeeze it 5 or more times and it's still soft, you probably have air in the line. It could be a crack in the fuel line or a bad seal - this often happens after changing the fuel filter.

I don't think the '06 3litre has a primer bulb like the one you describe (it's on the D40) they have a plunger lift pump on the fuel filter top housing usually.

My mechanic has done everything - still not 100%.
He says its a little better starting but the malfunction light is still coming on.
Any further ideas?

@dave..... he isn't sure what caused it.
@northside.... he scoped the sensor and said the graph was all over the shop.

He's going to get an opinion off someone else I think and see from there

People always crap on about electronics failing blah blah blah.

They quite often fail for a reason.

Whats the harmonic balancer like ?

The CAS gets its readings off it.

Have the car back for the rest of the day. So primed the fuel pump bingo started first time on low rev. Thought oh yeah fixed it. Went back to the garage smug like and no nothing has changed.

Thought I'd check fuses too and noticed there was no 15amp in the fuel pump place in the box on the dash. Probably never has been either. Didst make any difference when I put one in

Last edited:
Lol that's how the mechanic feels

It's wierd sometimes it starts no worries no malfunction light other times light on starts after a while.
Every time tho the taco goes Berko.

I'll let you know what the outcome is...........

Lol that's how the mechanic feels

It's wierd sometimes it starts no worries no malfunction light other times light on starts after a while.
Every time tho the taco goes Berko.

I'll let you know what the outcome is...........

Lol you missed the point.

Ive seen the problem exactly as you have described

And already given you the answer to the problem.

Its the ring gear inside the bellhousing that the CAS reads off.

People always crap on about electronics failing blah blah blah.

They quite often fail for a reason.

Whats the harmonic balancer like ?

The CAS gets its readings off it.

I have seen this a few times. And i know its going to sound stupid.
But first thing to check, was the original crank angle sensor damaged?

I have had two come in with the exact same problem and it was caused by the CAS gear coming loose and moving all over the place resulting in car that was very hard to start,Sometimes ran like a bag of S*@T and sometimes good, Occasionally threw a CAS code, made occasional weird noises from the bellhousing area, and had an extremely erratic wave form from the CAS (as the wheel was moving towards and away from it in an eccentric manner).

If your mechanic has an oscilloscope get him to do a scope of the CAS to check for fluctuations.

Thats 2. Lol.

Latest posts

Back