New member gday to all

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluey69

Reaction score
Im about to bye a 2012 built but aus compliance 2013 stx550 v6 56000ks to tow my 2.5 tonne outback caravan
Was looking at newer utes like holdens carnt afford anything else .... i read many things about d40s is it all doom and gloom
Gear box issues other stuff am i reading too much i didnt go for new ute as i think much to high tech for there own good and dont like the way they have a DPF filter burn off .... i think this a new system for cars and maybe trouble and expensive repairs ...... buggered if i know is the v6 the way to go???? car has passed a standered roads inspection very easy has lots of fruit arb bar arb rear bar steel side steps rear draws lifted 50 mm i know room in back is not the best but my kids are 6 and 3 so they will fit for a while.... will i smash through the fule towing im i doing the right thing byeing a older more powerfull car than the others ???? Thanks for any responces hope to be posting heaps in the future learning from others

Heres my opinion:
Lets get a few things straight first

I have a spanish built 2007 auto d40 STX with YD25 2.5 litre diesel engine
This is the model from which the doom and gloom stems

99% of this doom and gloom relates to the flimsy timing chain in the early yd25 engines

My timing chain snapped at 75,000 ks, i replaced the head and put a heavy duty timing chain kit into it
Have now done 50,000 ks on the new engine, loving life
The whole experience cost me about $6500, which put the price of the vehicle in about the same ballpark as a hilux, if you add cost price to engine rebuild

Considering i have essentially a new engine, im stoked with the outcome

I have friends with hiluxes, the d40 handles 100 times better, is more comfortable and more powerful
Hiluxes jiggle and jerk, d40s cruise (spainbuilt ones anyway, never been in a thaibuilt and the suspension is different in those)
In my opinion the other utes are a grade below the nissan and totota in quality
Except for the amarok, but thats not japanese so personally i wouldnt touch it

You mentioned youre looking at the diesel v6, but i thought it was important to get that timing chain business out of the way, so you can understand why theres such navara negativity out there

So what you're looking at is the most powerful, comfortable dual cab to ever hit our shores, made in Europe and setup for Australia

As far as i know, the diesel v6 has no major flaws, there will be some people complaining about various things in forums, but thats the nature of the internet im afraid
Someone else on this forum will be able to tell you more about what its like to own the v6

Ive been in or driven nearly all the new utes and i if i was going to upgrade (which i never will i love the upgraded yd25) the only
Ute id look at is the d40 550 stx

G'day mate & welcome! I've never owned one, but there are lots of D40's on the road, so they can't be too bad!

The only thing I can think of towing 2.5T would be how it handles the ball weight?

Old Tony tows a big van with a D40, so maybe he'll come along & can shed some light on that!

Thanks for replys so far i know the intercooler is leaking and its oily around the leak is that normal but leak has to fixed

Welcome to the forum.

It's always smart to research before buying, but if you spend enough time on the internet, you'll find doom and gloom about just about every make and model. At the end of the day you should pick the ute that suits you best.

I bought my 2009 D40 RX because I got a low mileage one for an excellent price, but D40s were at the top of my shopping list because out of all the dual cabs I test drove, they were the most comfortable to drive and in IMO the best looking inside and out. They're not perfect (5 minutes going through this forum will prove that) but no dual cab is!

Welcome aboard to another Outback owner. Can't comment on the D40 as I have a D23 but hopefully all goes well for you. I have a mate who tows with a D40 550 and he loves it for towing his Sterling.

Thanks to all but after much talking and after deposit was dropped i decided not to borrow more money i tow with a prado it dose a fine job just wanted the extra towing of 3 tonne and the extra power of the v6 but not to be this time

Latest posts

Back