Going to go totally insane

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmerd

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the Forum group and hoping to get some ideas.

Background: I have a 2002 D22 4wd Manual with a ZD30 motor, was running very nicely until I was backing up a trailer and foot slipped off clutch while reversing, causing her to stall (cant blame her for that).
Anywho, went to start her up and she turns over fine but wont start?

I have had a look at fuses, loose wiring etc.

What I did find was a damaged wire on the gearbox, I imagine that it was either the Vehicle speed sensor, reversing switch, Neutral position switch or 4wd switch. Hard to say which one but would this stop her from running?

I live in the middle of no-where so getting her to the shop is a total pain.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

Let me say that you obviously haven't visited Australia yet. "Middle of nowhere" has a whole new meaning when it's a 4,500km trip across the country!

Anyway, the first thing I'd do is check fuel. Pop the bonnet and squeeze the primer bulb a bit - it should take 3-4 squeezes to become firm, if it takes over 5-6 then check the fuel lines (clamps) for tightness, particularly around the filter.

I'd also pop the battery terminals off, give them a clean - as well as the earth point on the side of the engine. A jolt could cause an almost-bad connection to become bad. And those two points are known sore spots!

Thanks Tony,
Yep I did do the battery and left it out overnight charging. I also thought that this might reset the ecu just in case that was causing the problem. That changed nothing.
I'll try the fuel tomorrow, is it worth popping an injector to check for fuel too?
Cheers

What I did find was a damaged wire on the gearbox, I imagine that it was either the Vehicle speed sensor, reversing switch, Neutral position switch or 4wd switch. Hard to say which one but would this stop her from running?
speed sensor is an ecu input and can stop it from starting.

Thanks tweak appreciate your comments.
Well as suggested I have tried to prime but the plunger doesn't move at all, does this mean that the system is already pressurised with fuel? Or am I going about this the wrong way, should I crack an injector to see if I'm getting fuel delivery when turning over?

Latest on this one, managed to successfully resolder the broken wire at the sensor on the gearbox but made no difference.
I checked the prime pump and only managed two pumps before no more movement, however after I cracked one of the injector lines I discovered no fuel.

Keep looking I guess for the lack of fuel issue........

disconnect the fuel line hose that goes from the filter pumper to injectors and then pump up the filter to make sure fuel is going from the filter and out the outlet .

Fuel is definitely getting to the pump so I'm starting to wonder if the pump or pump ecu is poked.
On the side, does anyone know if these zd30 motors have a fuel cut off valve? As I said in my first post she was running sweet until the sudden stop when I accidentally stalled it, I've only had the problem since that. Just wondering if she thought that she'd been rear ended and it triggered a fuel shut off?

no inertia switch that i know of.

either a sensor is telling the ecu to not inject or the pump ecu is toast.
one issue is brake circuit not working. been cases where trailer blown brake circuit fuse.
been a few cases of starter motors failing
and the odd case of relay causing interference to the crank sensor.

as pump repair is $$$ pay to check all the cheap stuff first.
oscilloscope on the crank sensor will show any interference.

Latest posts

Back