Fuel Pressure Issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of removing my SCV soon because I think it's the cause of this particular issue.

Today I (easily) caught up with a Mazda driver doing about 70km/h in a 100km/h zone. An opportunity came up to overtake them so I signalled, pulled out and gave it some throttle. The Mazda also accelerated to 100km/h so I put my foot down hard.

Within a couple of seconds, the fuel rail pressure dropped from over 18,000psi to something like 7-8,000psi. The car wouldn't accelerate further. Turbo boost pressure was still at 18.5psi (thereabouts) but the rail pressure fell right away like it was trying to enforce limp mode. A few squeezes of the throttle brought it back to life momentarily but it quickly dropped again.

I'm thinking it's either the pressure sensor, or the SCV having an issue with the higher flow rate. Because cleaning the SCV is the cheapest option and a likely culprit (247,000km on the clock) that's what I'm thinking of, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had a similar issue and found that it was one or the other (or something else!).

As for the Mazda, the moron backed off because a 75km/h bend was coming, which the Navara took at 100km/h no problems, but they slowed to something like 60km/h for it. Talk about confidence behind the wheel.

Tony - you'd be well aware of my pump and SCV issues!

I'd remove it and look for any "foreign" bits in the nose. It's movement might be restricted. Give it a good clean - and reset the pump when you re-install.

If you're chasing a new SCV, I have one here with 1 start on it.. Mine turned out to be pump related (as you are aware) - but my tell tail was VERY noisey injectors until it warmed up (I am going to assume pump cavitation until parts expanded)

Does yours idle irregulary when cold - just a small idle hunt? That was my classic SCV tell it was stuffed.

Also - your Filter... IS IT CLEAN? I just replaced mine after it was powerless - and the new one makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. it was only 12,000km old too.

Feel free to shot me a PM if you need details etc.

My filter has about 6,000km on it from new, and I've had this problem creeping in for some time now (I've had two new filters since I first noticed it).

I'm betting it's the SCV too. If I have time tomorrow, I'll remove it and take a look.

I haven't been starting her in the cold recently, I've been kicking the Goldwing into action for the trip to work in the mornings, but she has hunted in the past.

Back