catch can question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kd0603

Reaction score
After seeing a mates d22 with a hp diesel catch can i was wondering
a. If it is designed to stop the oil and crap building up on egr ect
if anyone has used these brand catch cans ,
they seem different to most with a dipstick and a screw off bese instead of a pipe coming out of bottom
escuse my ignorance ,just trying to get my head around diesels , my old gen 6 572 big block was so much simpler:redcool:

it won't stop the crap in the manifold. most of that is due to the egr.

the dipstick is a nice idea. tho i think a tube with a valve on it a much better idea than to unscew the can. you usually have them in places where you just cannot get a hand in there to undo it a pull it out without spilling it everywhere.
the filter in it doesn't look like much, better than none but no where near as good as the provent.

yes buy a EGR block off plate from ebay for around $10 and fit it, this will keep the intake manifiold clean from that dreaded soot build up.

If you fit one of these do you get CEL's?
i can,t really say as yours is a D-40 , the D-22,s have no issues with CELs. maybe the D-40 egr blocking plate has a small hole in the center where the D-22 does not. you should fit a correct one though.

The car is looking for weather the EGR is open and at what angle or closed at idle and wide open throttle. It does not measure gas flow so should not throw any lights or codes.
Just make sure you seal the blank in nice and good

they do sort of measure gas flow. quite possible nissan have chosen to ignore it.

however i would be looking to see if the the intake butterfly is compensating for the lack of egr.
keep an eye on intake manifold pressure. see if it drops, especially into vacuum!.

assuming you still have a yd25 you dont have a butterfly to begin with so you can just blank it and be fine.
not all d40's are the same, engines till 2010 accept the blank while newer (euro5 emissions level in europe) dont
earlier ones are fine

yes i do remember a guy saying his Mitsi Pajero needed an egr blocking plate with a 10mm hole in the center , without the hole the engine would go into some mode i forget. so some do need a hole and some don,t by the sounds.

i cant find a picture of an yd25 on d22s that does. simply because there is none
d40 thats a different story obviously

yes the YD-25 in my D-22 has the butteryfly / valve inside the EGR Unit. this is why when the egr is blocked the ecu still thinks its working correctly.

they do sort of measure gas flow. quite possible nissan have chosen to ignore it.

however i would be looking to see if the the intake butterfly is compensating for the lack of egr.
keep an eye on intake manifold pressure. see if it drops, especially into vacuum!.

Thanks for the info Mate, mainly passing on what I've been lead to believe. I have a 2014 d40, EGR blocked, no lights, no codes.Only code my car has thrown is an overboost code a month after my retune. Minimal top end fuel trim and she's good to go again.

tweak'e Could you please explain in a little more detail the manifold pressure. Dropping pressure would equal boost going into vacuum? Would the be any other signs or causes for the boost to be dropping?Could the blocked EGR be the culprit and what sort of harm could this be doing short and long term to the vehicle? Any other info would be great:thank_you2:

yes the YD-25 in my D-22 has the butteryfly / valve inside the EGR Unit. this is why when the egr is blocked the ecu still thinks its working correctly.

LOL thats just the egr regulator there is no actual butterfly on the intake side.

i cant find a picture of an yd25 on d22s that does. simply because there is none
d40 thats a different story obviously
discussion was on the D40.
however went and double checked i'm not sure the d40 intake butterfly is for egr.
so i could well be talking out my arse.

Thanks for the info Mate, mainly passing on what I've been lead to believe. I have a 2014 d40, EGR blocked, no lights, no codes.Only code my car has thrown is an overboost code a month after my retune. Minimal top end fuel trim and she's good to go again.

tweak'e Could you please explain in a little more detail the manifold pressure. Dropping pressure would equal boost going into vacuum? Would the be any other signs or causes for the boost to be dropping?Could the blocked EGR be the culprit and what sort of harm could this be doing short and long term to the vehicle? Any other info would be great:thank_you2:

i might be wrong with the intake butterfly being used for egr.
easy to tell if you have a boost sensor/gauge connected to the inlet manifold (or anywhere after the butterfly). if its been used for egr purposes you will see boost pressure drop when you block the egr.
same reason for why we do the butterfly mod on the d22 zd30.
you could also fit a vac gauge on the vac line to see when its operating or a small light wired to the solenoid.
the butterfly might just be used for shutdown.

discussion was on the D40.
however went and double checked i'm not sure the d40 intake butterfly is for egr.
so i could well be talking out my arse.

what are you talking about friend, the owner who made the thread has a d22 and thats where my repply was aimed at the first place.

but here are the manual pictures as well.
d22 intake engine air comes after the egr valve just past the intercooler and into the engine. no butterflies
d22_intake.png

d40 intake uses a buttefly but before the egr valve!
d40_intake.png

and from the d40 manual which explains buttefly operation.
Electric Throttle Control Actuator INFOID:0000000006106694
Electric throttle control actuator consists of throttle control motor which operates throttle valve, throttle position
sensor which detects the opening angle of throttle valve.
Throttle valve is fully opened when regeneration is not performed. The valve is closed only to perform regeneration.
Based on the signal from throttle position sensor, ECM judges whether or not throttle control actuator operates
properly.

Last edited:
what are you talking about friend, the owner who made the thread has a d22 and thats where my repply was aimed at the first place.
thread was hijacked half way down.
d40 intake uses a buttefly but before the egr valve!

Throttle valve is fully opened when regeneration is not performed. The valve is closed only to perform regeneration.
good to know about what they use it for. i've only got early manual for d40's which has vac operated butterfly.

intake butterfly is typically before egr. normally used to reduce airflow and increase egr flow.

Latest posts

Back