Blue Smoke Backing Off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Did a service a couple weeks back on my 07 yd25 and after filling the engine which I poured in quite quick from the 10ltr can, I slightly overfilled it and since then everytime I back off then accelerate again it plumes blue smoke, I've since drained the overfill amount and cleaned out entire intake system which is still clean but still have the problem. But after 2 weeks it looks like its getting worse and the blue smoke is noticeable on acceleration slightly, is there a few things I should be doing or checking before I freak out like SCV, injector seals as I'm worried its rings or hot side of the turbo, any help or ideas would be amazing,
Thanks

probably not overflowing into the intake (oil burns fairly clean in a diesel), but could be causing restriction and over pressurization the sump. that can cause oil to be pushed out of the turbo exhaust side.
tho typically oil in the exhaust will blow white smoke. but the cat may change that.

After consultation with a local 4x4 mechanic he believes it to be the injector seals, is this a hard job to change as the washers, o rings and rocker cover gasket aren't expensive, just after some feedback from anyone who has done them before,
TY

yesterday the smoke was intense to the point I couldn't see the cars behind me, removed the catch can element and its not even noticeable now, could this be injector seals, o rings , any help would be great

yes but i dont think it fixed the problem but its lessened the restriction enough in the engine to stop it smoking, I think there is still something wrong somewhere I just cant work out where, think I need a leakdown test for a start

No, absolutely not, you're welcome to do a compression and leakdown test, but if your 'catch can' is having that major an effect on something that it should have no effect on, then there is something wrong with your catch can system. By the sound of it, the catch can system is either blocked, not allowing the blow-by gasses to flow through to the turbo inlet, or it is leaking, allowing air to be sucked into the turbo inlet, which then doesn't create the low pressure environment inside the crank case where it is supposed to be.

I have the provent 200 system and the top hose on the can comes from the rocker cover and the bottom hose goes to the turbo intake all using the supplied parts with the kit, is there anything in particular I should check for or consider, from what I can tell its just 2 hoses with a filter between them so the filter will add a slight restriction but pressure and vacuum in the engine should overcome this,
Thanks

Yep, pull the hose off the rocker cover side and confirm you can easily blow through the whole system into the turbo inlet. You can also try sucking from the turbo inlet side, but you might end up with a mouth full of oil.

Have you checked that the catch can isn't full ? From your symptoms, it's more likely that it's blocked rather than leaking.

My theory is: Your catch can is blocked, this means that the crank case is compressing with blow-by gasses, this pushes engine oil past the rings or valve seals into the combustion chamber. You don't necessarily notice this while you are on the power, because the engine is getting enough air to burn the oil relatively cleanly. When you back off the fuel, the turbo drops the air going into the engine massively, but you still have heaps of oil going into the combustion chamber, this is causing your smoke.

If you pretty much fix the problem by getting rid of the catch can, then the catch can is what is causing your problem.

Thanks so much, I was starting to think it was my valve seals or injectors seals or worse my rings, ill check these things out,
Cheers

I can blow through the hose to the turbo without the filter in, but once I put the filter in it barely lets any air through before the relief valve opens

Try giving the filter as well as all the other catch can parts a good wash out with dishwashing liquid. There should be almost no resistance when you blow through the system.

I haven't seen the inside of a provent 200, is it a steel filter element ?

The filter is less than 1000kms old, shouldn't be restrictive yet, only concern is the moisture from water condensation mixing with oil turning into gunk which it has on the top of the filter

Yep, certainly seems unusual that you would struggle to blow through it then. If you cannot blow through it, then the turbo cannot 'suck' the blow-by gasses out of the engine either, so clearly not working like it should.

It must all be related to your over-filling of the engine oil. I'm wondering if overfilling the oil led to the catch can getting flooded with oil maybe ?

Also, what do you do with the oil return at the bottom of the provent ?

Thats why I replaced the filter after overfilling the engine, but the can never got overflow into it, the return hose from the can goes to the intake on the turbo and the drain hose goes inside the front guard, if I leave the filter out for a few days it all settles down and I can put the filter back in and good for a bit. The more i think about it the more i think its the element not liking the cold conditions and the oil mist, gonna just leave the filter out at this stage until either an engine problem presents itself or santa brings me a solution

Yep, I strongly doubt that there is anything wrong with your rings or injector or valve seals.

The only other thing to check are the pipes you're using for your catch can. Did they come with the catch can ? 100% sure they are 'oil safe' ? If you use silicon hose or other non-oil-safe hose, the oil dissolves the hose and you get a sticky mess, which will certainly block up your catch can filter in a short time.

the hose I'm using is power steering hose and is only a few weeks old, and silicone reducers for the can which were supplied by the mob that sell the catch cans and they are fine, appreciate your help and advice, im lost but will just leave it as is for now, it did 150k without the catch can so shouldnt hurt too much for now,

Hi All,
Progress update, I had the injector seals replaced, engine still smokey after back off then back on the pedal, ended up having to replace the head for a different reason, intake cleaned and egr deleted, problem is still there and only way to stop it is to remove the catch can filter, could the engine be sucking to hard through the 3/4 hose and not letting the oil vapour stay in the filter, have heard of a few guys who have put restrictors in there hose from can to turbo for this reason or are my rings bypassing too much. engine now has 197k on it

Thanks

Latest posts

Back