Head Gasket DIY??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whishy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a D40 that has overheated after the serpentine belt snapped..

Only overheated for all of about 30 seconds..

D40 2007 model now has constant bubbling in the coolant, and when I take the coolant cap off the overflow, white steam pours out of exhaust. Also very hard to start after running so I guess it has water in a cylendar when starting.

Losing coolant and a lot of pressure in the cooling system.

No water in oil or Vice Versa.

Now, I have changed my fair share of head gaskets in the past, however never on a deisel.

Just wondering if there are any user guides out there or DIY tutorials that I have failed to find in a search? Or someone who has experienced this may be able to offer an overview?

I understand that it is 99% likely that the head is cracked so I will also have this inspected.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

Hello mate, did you solve your problem yet? I had same car and model mine STX 07 diesel, my boy kept running when the temp gauge went to red zone, has constant bubbling in the coolant, and when I take the coolant cap off the overflow, try to remove cylinder head today, all bolt undo, but could not remove the front plate. Any help, thanks in advance.

If the standard temp gauge goes into the red , you are in trouble. Those gauges are so over damped , by the time they read any thing wrong , things are too far gone to be saved.

There are about 26 bolts to get that front plate off, I wouldn't try doing the head while the engine is in the car , way too hard to work on ( but then I am only 5ft 8!).
That is one job I would suggest you get a service manual for , there are a few tricks to do to get it all back together from having a quick look through mine .

Do the timing chain/tensioner while you are in there.

Apologies, just noticed the date of the OP. I hope you got it all fixed Ok.

Back