Alternative fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spannaman

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed I tried the search, has anyone tried running their nav on anything else ie, chip oil, hydrolic oil, old engine oil, monkey piss, anything really would be interesting to know

There are a few members here that use home brew from waste oil (it's collectively referred to as "biodiesel"). Haven't seen a lot of that done with the newer CR diesels, but the older ones don't seem to mind it too much. The dealerships in Australia do a pretty good job of scaring any would-be biodiesel users away from the product for fear of getting fish and chips blocking the filter.

So, as John does, I use ordinary diesel - although my preference is currently for BP Ultimate, I will use Caltex or Shell. I do try my best to stay away from the smaller/independents and don't often buy from non-busy outlets. I prefer truck stops, because they'll have a higher turnover of diesel, less likely to have stuff sitting in their tanks growing algae.

for the safety of the fuel pump and engine plus the excellent economy you get from these diesel donks, why would you bother risking an alternative fuel type. [ vortex diesel ]

I guess for a similar reason that you'd not eat at a cafe every meal. With brekky at $6, lunch for around $9 and dinner at $12 (one person) you're looking at under $30 a day to eat out, not have to worry about cooking (or knowing how), shopping for the ingredients or spending the time to put it all together - and get it right.

If you can eat at a restaurant and be guaranteed a good meal (buy diesel from a servo and be guaranteed it's good fuel) then indeed, why bother cooking at home (making your own diesel)?

There's an excellent reason. Some people enjoy cooking!

More importantly, if you were in charge of the diesel production process for your own vehicle, you would ensure that your own diesel was second-to-none.

That's a very playful way of explaining it Tony lol. I guess with mechanical injection one could take the risk and "Homebrew". With C/R you'd have to know what your doing, the consequences to the rail would be huge.

I tried making some biodiesel a few years back. Gotta do it right, 15 litres cost me a fuel filter worth way more than it saved in fuel. Will try again though, time permitting

Latest posts

Back