Hankook Dynapro ATM versus MT

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
Hi all, have pretty much decided, based on budget, between the Hankook Dynapro ATM or MT. I love the look and potential benefit of the MT in the more muddy terrains and am keen to find out people's experience with either. Are the ATM's sufficient? Are the MT's too noisy on road? Are the sidewalls the same strength in both? Will they both cope as well with a Simpson crossing, Oodnadatta and Birdsville terrain (that's where I'm going in September)? Planning to put one of these choices on this weekend so advice would be welcome. $209 per corner for the ATM's and $239 for the MT's. Either suits my budget but want to make the right decision. Cheers.

A new set of muddies are a bit aggresive for sand tracks.i dont have hankooks i had maxxis.when new you just need to be carefull not to dig you way under on takeoff and up hills.

I have the Hankook AT's on my truck. IMO I think you will be fine with the AT's. Can't speak for the noise of the Muddies but AT-M's are fairly quiet. On thing to keep in mind is the AT-M's come in both normal and L/T construction. (heavier wall and slightly deeper tread) That's the one to go for budget allowing.

i have the dynapro MT's - have done a couple of thousand kms on them. i have done a good mix of highway/sand/high and low range trails. cant fault them at all except for an increase in fuel consumption. highway noise is fine and they are great off road. good bang for your buck muddie IMO.

I have the ATM in light truck.
Awesome tyre and as for wear, I have done 40 thousand in them and there is still 10mm of tread left, they come new with 15mm.
No more noise than factory fitted tyres, very quiet.

Definitely buy them again.

Have the Mt. Almost 10,000kms now, seem to be wearing well and arnt very noisy at all barely hear a slight hum from them.

Thanks guys, I've decided to go with the ATM's, although I'm wondering of any discernible difference to the BFG AT's because as far as I know the Dynapros are only a 2 ply sidewall and an 8 ply tread. I'd hoped it would be 3 and 10 respectively, but I guess you get what you pay for. Does anyone have any comments as far as strength and quality is concerned. I'm going a major trip in September starting Sydney>>Mildura>>Flinders Ranges>>Oodnadatta>>Mt Dare>>Simpson Desert>>Birdsville>>Innamincka>>Bourke>>Dubbo>>Sydney. THat's the main reason I'm upgrading and obviously will benefit from that afterwards. Interestingly Tony mentions a 15mm starting tread, I hope that's correct, that seems quite a bit more than the old stocks? I just measured my spare and it has 9mm max, and after only 10K with a few offroad trips the corners are at 4-5mm! So 15mm sounds good. What's people's general experience in these tyres in the outback? I'd like to hear more from Tony? Cheers lads.

Maxxis are not much more ($220 ish) and they are 10 ply.

Most or all A/T's are only 2 ply sidewall, muddies go to 3 ply

Yes mate 15mm tread on new tyres.
Have a look at my members ride thread to see the tyres the day after I fitted them.

They have good grip on all surfaces, obviously rock is going to rip any tyre quicker.

As for side wall plies, a stick will still go through a 3 ply sidewall maybe not as easily as as it would a 2 ply.
Tyre pressures will make or break any tyre.

For the money they are one of the best quality tyres I have had on any 4WD.
$223 a corner. $100 cheaper than the BFG A/T.
The BFG's aren't as good as they used to be say 20 years ago when they introduced the side bitter on their tyres.

Thanks Tony, got them fitted today, happy with the look. $1045 for 5 including wheel balance and alignment.They said the camber is off (probably that rough diving through the dunes at Blacksmiths last weekend, or perhaps the fact that my mechanic tightened the torsion bars a bit - gave the front a nice lift though) so they're fixing that on Tuesday for free. Let's see how they perform. Feel more comfortable to take this to the Simpson in September now, it's got these and the new Toughdog shocks so apart from some spares getting there. Looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back