Using water

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazerbear

Reaction score
Hi all. My ute has been having the odd rough idle right on startup and using a little water with no visible leak. I replacd the 90 k old glow pugs and rough start is still intermittent. We pressurised the cooling system today for 30 minutes then started engine. It ran pretty rough and missed on at least one cylinder and i could definitely smell burnt coolant. I'm suspecting head cracked but can't confirm for sure. What should be the next step? What are my options ? Its done 340 k runs like a dream and uses no oil. Ive had it since 40 k and wouldlike to keep it running . So would it highly likely be a cracked head? Should i rebuild the bear minimum or is a full rebuild a better idea. Money is pretty tight !!
Thanks in advance
Grant

Hey mate. I guess the fix depends how long you are planning on keeping it for. I do recall mention of one of those radiator additives on here a while ago that did a great job of sealing up whatever internal leakage there was. Something similar to chemiweld, but not sure if that was it.

Otherwise, it is time to start pulling it down to see where the cracks are. You may be lucky and it may only be the head or the gasket, but until you pull it apart you won't know for sure...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

just dont use the sealant you are supposed to drop in the radiator and it will magically seal.
its junk and blocks everything. do it once. do it right.

Thanks for your input guys . Doing the Nulon Radiator and engine stop leak first which i feel is a snake oil approach then its plan b , get the head off and go from there. Quite prepared to spend 3 ish grand on it as its been a fantastic vehicle. And it does get used on the farm here but i have looked after it . Can't complain. I will post update more than likely after my wallet is much lighter .
Thanks again
G

Update. Head was cracked and was replaced. 4000 dollars including labor . I now have a water temp alarm fitted.

Good money if you work for yourself or own a workshop.
Not so good if your just employee though i hear.

Aparantly its a real prick to do a head on a zd30, almost as easy to remove the whole engine to do it.

Its not uncommon on the zd30 either.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back