Sound right for a catch can? Economy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsymike

Reaction score
G'day All....
Wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on this. I recently put in a catch can in my 2005 D22 ZD3.0 Navara. ( after cleaning out the inlet manifold .....good and proper ) I just did a 1800 km round trip over 2 days, 100 - 110 kmh for 2 x 9 hours. I have a 50 cm clear hose hanging off the bottom drain of the can, to catch the oil ( plugged up end ) and I collected about 1/5 cup of "nice" looking oil. I had only just changed the oil which is why it "looked nice " . Does that sound like too much? I mean, going off that rate I should've lost about a good cup or more of oil into my system over 10 000 kmh, pre catch can. I don't ever remember the oil level dropping before like that.
Is it ok to throw that oil back in the car, the stuff that gets collected and drained from the can? I don't see why it'd hurt if it is just oil condensed from vapour.
I was hoping that I would get heaps better economy with the cleanout but it seems that I didn't even get the economy that I had a couple of years ago. Cruising @ 100-110 kmh I get ( from a very full tank ) 180km to the 3/4 indicator , then another 160km to the 1/2 way then 150km to the 1/4 mark then only 90km until the yellow light comes on. That means only about 580km to the yellow light. I have in the past got 50km out of it after the yellow light has come on . ( if I go at about 70-80kmh) I really "nursed the car" and I could get about 630-640 km out of the tank. I remember getting 700km out of it a few years back once.
Can I ask the guys that know all about fuel economy if that seems a bit of a low figure for a 70 litre tank, travelling smoothly like that with a "clean system"?

Also, I have been looking everywhere trying to find the correct terminology for the 2 x rubber lining / splash guards that protects the lower part of the motor from junk / water etc going in there, and deadens the road noise a bit. I am talking about inside each wheel space on the front.....and the rubber lining is fastened with the plastic rivets / fasteners to the chassis. Both of mine are torn and got worse on the trip. ( lost one) I can't find them in any manual......unless I'm looking wrong....and even on ebay, the best I can find is the Patrol ones. Can someone tell me what to refer to when sourcing those items? Anyone know where I can get some serviceable ones online? I was calling them rubber engine splash guards, rubber engine skirting, apron........can't get much info on them. Appreciate any advice from anyone ....mick

One cup of oil over 10,000 kms sounds about right for a zd30 with a few kays on it
A cup of oil is not much to lose out of the engine, personally i wouldnt worry about adding it back into the system
My mate set up the catch can in his patrol to feed back into the sump, it was something he regretted because it was a pain in the ass, and he never knew how much he was catching

I cleaned my inlet manifold out at 270km hoping to see an economy improvement myself (and it was filthy). I had seen a drop of around 30 km per tank previously. Didn't see fuel use drop at all so I have assumed it is just wear of injectors and pump etc. I did do a liquimoly purge which helped a bit but then seemed to drop off again after a tank or two. I think I will do another one shortly.
The oil blow by is probably not to bad. I find it hard to get the level right after an oil change anyway. It never seems to stick evenly to the dipstick and the new oil is so hard to see. It has been overfilled by mechanics a few times and I imagine more blow by would result if overfilled. My catch can has only been in for around 5k so I will check it tomorrow and see how it looks

I think I will do a Liquimoly purge too.....I did put a 250ml can of LM

Diesel injector cleaner in a tank of fuel recently.
What are you collecting your blow by in from the catch can? I only have a length of hose at the moment....blocked off....but I reckon the Liquimoly diesel injector cleaner empty can would make a good reservoir, if I can rig it in there neatly. Yeah, I agree on the checking the dipstick....esp. new oil.

Latest posts

Back