Spare wheel hinged holder

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have a D21 Dual cab with after market canopy. Its been converted to dual fuel and as such there is no where really for the spare wheel other than in the tray which takes up too much space.

I do have roof racks but would prefer not to use them to carry the spare as a) it raises the height of the vehicle for parking in under ground car parks etc and b) I carry quite a few things on the racks.

Does anyone know of a mount suitable that can carry the wheel on the back but hinges out to allow opening of the tail gate?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Yes, the wagon version of the Navara had a swing away carrier standard, it mounts to the body at the right hand side so you'd have to get a chassis mount made up, since the tray sheetmetal is not strong enough. That would be your cheapest option, I know where there is one available so send me a PM if you're interested, alternately make yourself one, there's plenty of guides on the net, or buy a full custom one from somebody like scottybobcat.

I've got one from a 92 Terrano if you want one for a nominal price, but it's up here in NQ. not sure what it would cost to courier.

i was thinking of going down the terrano/pathfinder wheel carrier route, if you can fabricate steel you could make a bracket to go over the side of the chassis. maybe sandwich it between the tow bar and chassis like the kaymar carrier then run a reinforcement up the inside of the tub's skin. it'd need to be pretty solid otherwise there'd be a lot of flex and possible cracks. that said if the latch held it tight enough then movement would be minimal. looking at it though you'd be better adapting an 80 or 100 series single wheel carrier to the job.

Latest posts

Back