my D22 getting SAS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys, been running round without the tonneau cover on and it seems to be settling in better. not bad for $150. got the gu alternator today, hopefully put it in on the weekend.

Hey Josh I bought my GU alternator a couple of months ago and haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Actually might get my mechanic to do it on the next service. I hate working on cars these days.

Dave.

Installed the GU alternator the sarvo.

The old navara one
PC190187.jpg

the new patrol one
PC190189.jpg

and the new one installed
PC190191.jpg

Hardest part of the swap as the belt tensioner. really awkward place and it uses a shock type thing to keep tension, ended up undoing the bottom bolt and pulling it out to release the tension then had to force it back up to get the bolt back in.

finished off the uteline with the sail trac for the tonneau cover, couldnt get pop rivets long enough so had to use tech screws.
PC190192.jpg

Picked up two new cvs. got both for $300 and he rekns hell do the next one cheaper again. He rekons it will be heaps stronger now....well see how much stonger on sunday, altho the locker still isnt working going to get that looked at on monday now.
PC190187-1.jpg

heap of front and rear GU diffs for sale atm on outers......so tempting

interesting.
i think gu patrol alternators are clutched alternators tho they can be converted to non-clutched. will depend on which motor its off.

belt tensioner should be easy enough. take off that useless bash pannel, fit big spanner/socket onto the hex and HEAVE !

i would have liked to fit D40 120amp one in ;)

i duno if its clutched or not but its working fine. just loosening the bolt didnt release anywhere near enough tension. i wouldnt have minded 110 amp patrol one as thatd bolt straight in aswell but its just what i could get. i didnt really feel like messing around with making new brackets ect. and id say d40 ones would be more expensive...?

do you normally run with your turbo heat sheild off like in the pics or did you just do that for the photo?

also whats better about having a higher amp'ed alternator. whats the d22 stock alt amp by the way?

cheers

Stock D22 ZD30 alternator is 60 amp. The GU ZD30 alternator is 90 amp. Allows you to run more electrical stuff like lights and fridges etc.

Dave.

Some pics from today...had the tyres down to 3psi, bagged heaps well.
PC200019.jpg

PC200018.jpg

PC210089.jpg

Cheers shonky. The wider wheel track is awesome. one section your on a big side angle with a bank that if you take the normal track just misses your panels, i put the tyres into the side of the bank and it kept me alot more level and no panel damage, 60 series tried to copy me and the bank got to keep some of his paint.:biggrin:

Im trying to decided as to wether to do this rear quarter chop or not...i grabbed the die grinder from work and some thin as cutting discs...i want the rear bar to come in under the tray without losing departure angle....im just hesitant about making such a big chop.....id be cutting along where the silver meets the green.
ah and the rear bar will be twin 35" wheel carrier :wink:

Go the quarter chop, it's not like you can't get another tub for it if you change your mind, there are heaps of them for sale on Ebay cheap.

I'm thinking of doing something about mine, it always crashes down on the towbar, all Navs can do with a better departure angle.

Two 35" tyres on the carrier will be interesting, you know that works out wider than the car. :18:

yeah i wana get a tray eventualy...just cant afford that much steel atm.
I put two 35s at the back and it looks like theres enough room without them protruding the body...but even if they do...my tyres stick out 2 inches further so they wont come out that far:18:

Nice pics Joshy, your rig is looking better and better all the time. I have to ask though, why do you want 2 spares? Are you planning a trip across the simpson sometime soon? I took 2 spares with me when I did the simmo and didn't need either it would be kind of pointless to increase the weight of the car that much just for the hell of it. Any long distance touring won't require 35's either so umm yeah... why??

ah mainly because i can...haha. and i run directional tyres so its nice to be able to put the right direction tyre on. and if i make it too fit 35's then itll fit 33"s for touring...id rather carry 2 spares and not need em then not carry em n need em. The bar itself is going to be fairly light...well thats the plan anyway. and with using the trailer stubs i can just undo one side and just have one spare or none or spare and jerry can. also if the bar/tyres stick out a bit it will protect the tray a bit.

Latest posts

Back