Installing a turbo in a QD32

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the td27t uses a different fitting in the oil filter housing just above the oil filter ( the allen key plug) to use a banjo bolt and steel line . The standard turbo on the td27t is a ht12 a copy of a t25 garrett and uses the same lines (coolant and oil).

Not to sure about anything with the TD27. The turbo I have purchased does not have Water Cooling so I will not need to install anything. Have you checked the d22 service manual? It has some info on the TD27.

Ok so I have been slack with the updates but nothing mush has happened.
Anyway here are pictures of the Turbo set up.
Just waiting on the oil return flange and the dump pipe flange and clamp (I'm not completely satisfied with the one that came with the turbo.)
IMG_20110910_104950.jpg
IMG_20110910_105016.jpg

IMG_20110910_105006.jpg

So apart from the delays in postage everything is going roughly to plan.
I will be installing it next weekend hopefully.

-Brodie

Hi Brodie

If only they could keep that nice shiney look after you install and use it.
Also have a check and see if the dump pipe has enough clearance to the firewall.
On mine I had to get the exhaust guy to tighten the angle to keep it away from the firewall.

Alan

Ok so after stressful problem solving i am no further ahead then I was two weeks ago.
Could you please post a picture of your setup installed Alan.
My dump pipe wont clear the firewall and I have screwed it up trying to.
Im at the point where I am thinking about buying a different turbo or a different manifold.

Anyway where i am standing is im still waiting for the oil return flange to arrive, i need to sort something out with a tighter angle dump pipe and i am considering buying a new manifold that is side mount and a new turbo.
My other option is to remove the internal wastegate and install an external one.
Why does all mechanics have to be so frustrating.

-Brodie

Last edited:
Another "little" update.
After looking around for a bit I think i might purchase one of these.
System.Imaging2D.GetThumbnail.aspx.jpg

From denco for $93+postage.
I have tomorrow off so I will be running around to all the 4x4 and turbo shops i know of trying to get some advice and will post back once I figure something out.

Anyway just a tiny parts list for those interested:
QD32 Exhaust Gasket...........................$24
QD32ETI Turbo Manifold........................$350
T04E Turbo............................................$350
Oil Return Flange...................................$10
Oil Return Line 50CM.............................$5
Oil Return 3/8 BSP Stainless fittings......$10
3/8 BSP Stainless 90° bends.................$10
Custom Oil feed line from ENZED...........$140
Useless Dump Pipe................................$120
Pyrometer.............................................$100
Boost Gauge..........................................$100
Guage Cup X2........................................$60
Boost Controler......................................$50
Vacuum Line...........................................$6
Intercooler.............................................$120
Silicone Air Hoses...................................$80
Total So Far:...........................................$1535

I am guessing I will be spending around another $1000 on things like
3" straight through mandrel bent exhaust
Getting a dump pipe that will fit
Oil and filters
Hoses to connect everything on the air side
Bonnet Scoop
Top mount brackets for intercooler

Things to Learn from:
If you are using the top mount manifold make sure you get a dump pipe that will fit between the turbo and the firewall.
Make Sure your turbo will not be to tall to fit under the bonnet (mine is oh so close)
Denco Kits including exhaust are $3200
Denco Kits excluding exhaust are $2800
Denco Manifold are $440 and are slightly less top mount then the nissan ones

-Brodie

Last edited:
same problem wit the factory td27 manifold there is 90mm between turbo and the firewall. 10mm for the flange and 76 mm for 3'' pipe its gonna be tight. 1 coolant line is from a fitting that is drilled and tapped into the thermostat housing and the other is on the block towards the rear has a plug im the block already will try get some photos

Attachments

• A05062011054.jpg
    A05062011054.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
Ok so after going around and speaking to a few different people I was sent to MR Turbo, in Gaven on the coast.
After talking to him about the turbo i bought and said "well it might suite a 3L Petrol, but it wont start spooling up on your engine until around 2700rpm" which is what everyone else was telling me.
So now i have a spare turbo i guess.
So after a bit of talking with him we worked out that a T25 would be the best application for what i want. With the GT28 next in line.
A Reconditioned Genuine Garret T25 from him would be $650ish where as a T25 from china is around $400.
So now the deliberating begins. To try the Chinese turbos again or just go for a reconditioned one.
I also need a plate to adapt the T3 flange on the Manifold to a T2 which is $100 from MR Turbo so I have ordered that.

Have you check out what turbo's they use when turbocharging Toyota 3B's ?

A similar size turbo should work for you.

Hi Brodie

With my dump pipe, I bought a 90 degree bend, made the flange (came with the kit) go as close as possible into the angle, cut it, and had it TIGed on at work. Then I cut a cut a section out of the bend with a thin (1mm) angle grinder wheel and welded it up. Had to take a V piece out of the top of the pipe as well, to close the gap. I now have about 25mm between it and the firewall.

Any exhaust shop should be able to it for you. I fitted the turbo and dump pipe and drove to the shop (it's not too noisy). I got a two and a half inch pipe, a flexy joint, took out the front resonator, down to the original muffler, all done for $250.

I intend to do the whole thing two and a half inch when I get more financial in which case they will just add a muffler (maybe) and/or tail pipe (or maybe just leave it as it is).

My turbo is a Chinese T3-T4 and comes on strong at 1500rpm and so far, not one problem.

That dump pipe you are thinking about will do the job but IMO the angle is a bit too sharp and its expensive when I think about how much I paid.

There are some pics in my gallery of the intercooler plumbing but mine is a low mount (in behind the bullbar).

Alan

Yeah I have look at a few options for getting it all togeather but I have decided to bite the bullet and just get a gt25 made for me by Mr turbo. It is $800 ready to go.
I have blown my budget intial budge but Murphys Law and a bit of learning so that is just how it goes i guess.
So everything i need should be in near the end of next week. A camping trip next weekend will be putting off the fitting the turbo so that will hopefully be within the month.

Ok so here is an update. I have just got the new turbo today. It looks excellent and is all ready to go on. Now I just need to get the lines sorted.

My biggest problem at the moment is figuring out where to plumb the Water cooling lines for the turbo. Can anyone help me out with that?
My initial idea was to install a T piece off the heater hoses for the air-con.
I also need to get a heat shield made for around the turbo to protect the fuel lines from the heat.

Here is a few pictures of the new turbo compared to the old along with the flange adapter.

IMG_20110930_194652.jpg

IMG_20110930_164807.jpg

IMG_20110930_162457.jpg

IMG_20110930_182725.jpg

All seems to be going smooth this time around. Will keep updates coming as progress goes. Just need to figure out the water cooling lines now.

-Brodie

some pics off a 3.2 turbo navara. it had 3.2 turbo signwriting and i'm told it was turbo from new (single owner).

DSC00343003.jpg

DSC00344002.jpg

DSC00345001.jpg

DSC00346005.jpg

this one is water line off bottom of thermostat housing

Attachments

• Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
some pics off a 3.2 turbo navara. it had 3.2 turbo signwriting and i'm told it was turbo from new (single owner).

Looks like an AXT kit to me. Good to see there are a few places to run the oil lines from, but that now has me questioning which would be best.

@Blayde,
Yeah i was thinking of tapping off the thermostat housing. Where is the second picture you posted located can quite make it out?

Still having a hard time deciding where to plumb the hot and cold coolant lines from. That plug on the block Blayde mentioned earlier is the coolant drain plug so I am not to keen on using that if it can be avoided.
Has anyone seen the coolant lines plumbed to different locations? This is the last part I need to figure out until I can start the install.

the locations i showed are the ones off the td27 factory turbo motor so should work ilk try find the fitting and take a photo for you

Thanks Blayde, been reading through the manuals for the QD32 and looks like I might have to use that drain plug. Just not sure where to return the hot coolant to. Might have to get a part added to the thermo housing like in the pic you posted.

Latest posts

Back