Remote oil filter mod - YD25

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilmah

Reaction score
Alright I have sort of covered this in my race truck build thread but through it was worth making a separate thread with a bit more info. This mod is really pretty simple once you get your head around removing the oil filter mount.

To start with you need to buy a sandwich plate to suit a 3/4 by 16TPI filter. I got mine from advance adapters.

Drop the oil from the engine and allow it to drain for 20 mins.

Remove old filter and dispose of as you normally would

You now need to remove the oil filter mounting bracket that bolts to the block. Firstly undo the oil cooler with a 17mm socket (the big one in the pic) You can now swing the oil cooler out the way and acess the 4 x 8mm bolts which hold the bracket in place, the need a 12mm socket with a few extension bars to reach in.

Undo the oil dipstick and you can remove it from the block

You then need to grind the lip off so the sandwich plate can sit flush

I also grinded down the filter nipple so only 6 threads were showing, the stock one is way too long

Give the job a clean up with some brake cleaner and reinstall, there is a gasket between the block and the filter mount so be careful when installing

Mount up you oil filter mount in the desired location, mine is below the drivers headlight as I have no room in the engine bay and its easy access.

I had to make my own threaded nipple to join the filter and filter mount so I cut down a hydraulic bulkhead fitting and threaded half in the filter and the rest in the filter mount

This will allow you to run any 3/4 16TPi sized filter you want. I run a Z9 as they are cheap, common and 20% bigger than the Z89A

All that is left to do is run 2 oil lines join the remote filter and the sandwich plate. I choose to run -10AN stainless braid but any rubber hose rated to 100psi and 150 deg will be fine.

I also run a large oil cooler and an oil accumulator but unless you are racing you will not need these items. Feel free to ask any questions. I think this is a great mod if you want to make servicing easier and cleaner.

Cheers

Dilmah

Cheers mate....the grind job on the filter housing was what i was thinking too..now to order some parts.

Pretty easy mod in the end. Just needed to do a little research on how to pull that oil filter mount off the block. Workshop manual came in handy

I decided to remotely mount my oil filter and found this old thread.

I was going along fine until I removed the oil filter to fit the sandwich plate and discover there's an extra long filter nipple at about 45mm. This stops the plate being screwed down and seal against the housing. I've never experienced such a long filter nipple before. I'm pretty sure it's there to assist putting the filter back on as it's not easy as we all know.

Once you drop the filter over the nipple it slips down into it's correct position and you can spin it on with the left hand. If it had a typical nipple I think it would be harder to get the filter into position.

I was hesitant to cut about 20mm off but you've done it so it's obviously caused you no problems.

I'm trying to decide if I try to cut the extension off in situ or remove the oil filter housing and do it properly. You say it wasn't too difficult to get the housing out?

20220509_113256.jpg

Latest posts

Back