Dual battery setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic box is screwed the the tub floor with about 8 screws. Large washers were also used with the screws.

Its been in there for a while with no problems.

I have one in the engine bay a 50 AHr Battery, will put some pictures up soon. It runs a fridge (ARB/Engle) for about 24hr

Works really well. I put in a TJM one in only 3 wires

Just put a 2nd battery in my truck.

Used 2.5mm mains cable from the front battery to the 2nd battery. No voltage drop with that.
I hope your not refering to 2.5mm building wire!! eg. 240Volt house wire???

I am assuming by saying building wire your refering to the single strand crap. If so seen that shit break for no reason.

Dave.

That's exactly what I meant. What is your problem with that.?
That stuffs made to carry 15amps 240V, you want to carry 100amps at 12V there's a huge difference!! I'm not an autolec but I'm pretty sure that the current flows around the outside of the copper so more strands means the more current can be carried. eg battery cable, thick full of multistrands. Your second battery will never charge up using that wire. Get some string and work out the length you need then buy some heavy duty alternator wire from repco, supercheap etc. then get some quality lugs (very important) crimped on by an auto elec. Also don't forget a the inline fuse right at the battery. As far as solenoids go buy a redarc or similar. My advice is don't try and cut corners, do it RIGHT the first time, it will save you money and grief in the long run.

It was stranded cable. Not solid.

Thanks for the advice but ive got it working nicely. Has been for a while now.

If you are going to use a fuse then you in fact should have one at both batteries.

I soldered my teminals. Better than crimping.

I'm a sparky and 08KINGCAB is spot on, building wire (stranded or single core) is a big no-no in auto wiring. Correct auto electrical cable carries a lot more current and is more flexible than building wire. Also crimping is better than soldering in auto situations where large lugs/cable are used as soldered connections commonly fracture.

Fuses should be at both batteries, on the positive cable, and as close to the positive terminal as you can get it. Fuses protect cable!

It was stranded cable. Not solid.

Thanks for the advice but ive got it working nicely. Has been for a while now.

If you are going to use a fuse then you in fact should have one at both batteries.

I soldered my teminals. Better than crimping.

Sorry Laith but when it comes to auto wiring mate its a whole different ball game. I only crimp battery lugs as they are prone to fracture, I had this problem in the simpson on my patrol. My fridge wasn't getting cold and I found that it wasn't getting full voltage. I found that I was getting 13.8V when I used my multimeter at the cable where the solder was but at the lug there was nothing. Gave the cable a tug and it just fell out of the lug. Its probably fine at the moment on your rig but it will fail eventually if you do any long distance driving involving corrugations, trust me. Again I have to repeat what others have said with the 240V gear it just isn't rated the same as auto stuff and I just wouldn't use it on my vehicle (or any one elses for that matter) but at least you have fused it correctly. while we're throwing quals out there I've got both auto elec ticket and 240v sparky, hopefully you'll change your mind, auto cable isn't that expensive in the long run. My 2 cents.

I used welding cable from BOC gas and gear - I think it was 25mm^2 (around 3-4 Gauge). And much cheaper than from supercheap etc

I crimped and soldered. the thick cable took what seemed like 5 metres of solder to fill!

ive got 110amp hour AGM under the bonnet with 6mm square cable redarc protection an never have a problem

Last edited:
in my D40 i have a dual battery setup which is a deep cycle battery.

the only thing is i just have a solenoid that engages with the key switch on so it is charged from the other battery but can't drain the main one overnight ect.

the only thing is i'm worried it may overcharge my deep cycle when its not in use and i;m driving lots. its only a trickle charge but could this be the case???

cheers
josh

i have made a frame for a tool box to run long ways above the wheel arch that sits the tool box lid at window height. i left a gap at the front of the tub and mounted the battery in there so its nice and hidden away.

Latest posts

Back