Winch 9.5 or 12.5?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampgo7

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a winch. After searching between Superwinch, Warn and T-Max, I think I will go for superwinch.
Now can anyone tell me which is better, 9.500lb or 12.500lb?
As far as I know most of Navara owners have 9.500lb.

Cost is often a deciding factor. Plus most people don't think they need more than 4300kg (the 9000lb) pulling power.

However, for the same reason you'd buy a 600W inverter to power a 300W device ... having something that isn't working anywhere near it's rated limit is only going to make it last longer.

Cost is often a deciding factor. Plus most people don't think they need more than 4300kg (the 9000lb) pulling power.

However, for the same reason you'd buy a 600W inverter to power a 300W device ... having something that isn't working anywhere near it's rated limit is only going to make it last longer.

I totally agree with you. The only think that makes me still thinking about is that as they say a 12.500 winch is going to be slower and probably the battery will have problem.

Now talking about steel cable or synthetic rope, what I think is:
I know that the biggest and most important difference between steel cable and synthetic rope is their inherent safety.
However on the downside, synthetic rope requires much more maintenance than steel cable does. While it is very strong, it is also more fragile than steel cable. Synthetic rope is susceptible to damage from UV light, high temperatures (150° F and higher), chemicals, friction and grit.

Even if you provide all the necessary protection and maintenance (Frequently wash with soapy water to remove grit and debris which may have gotten inside the fibers of the rope, have an anti-abrasion sleeve (which comes with many quality synthetic rope lines) for protection in situations where the rope may rub and invest in a removable winch cover for protection from UV damage and to keep debris out of the winch, they say that you should replace it every 2 years. And it is much more expensive than steel cable. I also believe that very often you can not avoid grid on rocks.

What is your opinion?

This is an argument that has polarised some of the people here in the past, specifically about Dyneema rope.

There's no question that steel cable is heavier but it does suffer from the elements too if you don't care for it (I spray mine with WD40, hasn't helped my fairlead rollers but the rope is still ok). When steel rope starts to fray though, it's painful - literally! It also has more mass to worry about in the event of a failure. Most people with steel rope (myself included) don't change their rope very often at all. My winch has been on for several years, still works, still the original rope.

Dyneema rope is different because it can fill with dirt and this is the specific issue that has raised so much argument in the past. The issue is whether or not you actually need to clean the rope, and whether or not the grass/dirt/mud/sand/tree fibres etc cause damage to the rope whilst it is in use. Some say that it does, others say that they've not cleaned theirs after use and the rope is fine. UV damage potential is undeniable although if it's mounted deep in a steel bar like most of ours the sun doesn't really get to it unless it's being used - and even if it's used (like mine) to do more than just vehicle recovery (tree stump removal, oh yes!) it's not really out long enough to do lots of damage.

The real difference will come down to whether you need to save the weight, and whether or not you're happy with the cost to replace the rope when needed.

Personally, I've had my winch for years, I will upgrade to a 5.3T one when I next get an opportunity, but it will keep the cable it comes with. I've never had an issue with steel except for the occasional loose strand which is a real bugger when it nicks your hand.

Winch speed: isn't going to be dramatically different. When you need to use the winch - the sh;t's hit the fan and you need to be self-recovered - ANY progress out of the mire is looked upon with joy. If it's pulling you out at 3.5m per minute or 2m per minute you don't really care, both are progress and both mean you didn't have to call your mate with his Toymotor to try and get you out.

This is an argument that has polarised some of the people here in the past, specifically about Dyneema rope.

There's no question that steel cable is heavier but it does suffer from the elements too if you don't care for it (I spray mine with WD40, hasn't helped my fairlead rollers but the rope is still ok). When steel rope starts to fray though, it's painful - literally! It also has more mass to worry about in the event of a failure. Most people with steel rope (myself included) don't change their rope very often at all. My winch has been on for several years, still works, still the original rope.

Dyneema rope is different because it can fill with dirt and this is the specific issue that has raised so much argument in the past. The issue is whether or not you actually need to clean the rope, and whether or not the grass/dirt/mud/sand/tree fibres etc cause damage to the rope whilst it is in use. Some say that it does, others say that they've not cleaned theirs after use and the rope is fine. UV damage potential is undeniable although if it's mounted deep in a steel bar like most of ours the sun doesn't really get to it unless it's being used - and even if it's used (like mine) to do more than just vehicle recovery (tree stump removal, oh yes!) it's not really out long enough to do lots of damage.

The real difference will come down to whether you need to save the weight, and whether or not you're happy with the cost to replace the rope when needed.

Personally, I've had my winch for years, I will upgrade to a 5.3T one when I next get an opportunity, but it will keep the cable it comes with. I've never had an issue with steel except for the occasional loose strand which is a real bugger when it nicks your hand.

Winch speed: isn't going to be dramatically different. When you need to use the winch - the sh;t's hit the fan and you need to be self-recovered - ANY progress out of the mire is looked upon with joy. If it's pulling you out at 3.5m per minute or 2m per minute you don't really care, both are progress and both mean you didn't have to call your mate with his Toymotor to try and get you out.

So if in the future you buy a new bigger winch and you have the ability to choose between steel cable and Dyneema rope which is one of the best ropes, you will go for steel cable?

PS: Talking about cost, which is bigger if you choose synthetic rope, we all should think that in case of a steel cable failure while winching, even if nobody get hurt, maybe at the end of the day you have to pay more in case the cable hit your car.

If I upgrade the winch I'll use whatever's on it. If there's a choice I might try the Dyneema rope, but I don't mind either way. A saving of 5Kg isn't enough to make me want to change, really.

In terms of potential damage - the rope might do less (less mass = less momentum) but if I care for it, it shouldn't break while being used. "Caring" may not be washing it or pulling all the little bits of gunk out of it, it's more making sure that it's not fraying - like a seat belt - the rope should handle the max pull of the winch with a little room to spare for a small amount of damage but once it starts wearing considerably it needs replacing.

And with that point I pretty much make a decision: dyneema can wear much more easily than steel, so with the high replacement cost, the weight saving doesn't balance out. I'll stick to steel.

For intermittent use I am a fan of Dyneema only because of minimal kickback if it breaks. Consider using soft shackles on the tie points, no metal parts and no innocent injuries.
If I was living in the outback I would choose steel rope instead.

Either way carry a spare Dyneema winch rope which can be used as an extension, they weigh nothing.
Winches are a thing where we think we have to spend the big bucks but the $500 winches seem OK. Only problem most start at about 12,000lb and bullbar is rated at 10,000lb (ARB). You have to spend the big bucks to get 9,500ib.
Don't expect the winch to pull you out of a bog straight off, spend lots of time with a shovel first and never have a failure.
Understand that if you use a pulley and connect back to the vehicle, don't hook back to the bullbar as that doubles the winch power to say 20,000lb and will destroy your bar if stressed. Connect back to chassis rail or better still equaliser strap.

Latest posts

Back