CR2 common rail diesel tuning chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

308bever

Reaction score
ok, i`ve gotta know is it really possible to get an extra maximum 39 KWs of power and economy too solely with a $200 plug and play chip? or is this coming sucker? i`m a newby so be nice please,lol. i was just looking on ebay and found this ### AU CR2 Common Rail Diesel Tuning Chip - Nissan - Navara, Note, MP300 & NV200 ### thanks stewart:shooter:

The cheaper chips might give you some extra beans but they do it in a dangerous way. I'll explain.

Diesels always get lots of air - there's no butterfly restricting airflow like in a petrol engine. Every time the piston draws air in with the intake valves open, the chamber fills as much as it can with air - usually pumped in under pressure by the turbocharger.

This means that the fastest way to get the most beans is to simply increase the fuel. You CAN get chips that finely control the turbocharger output and the injection timing as well, but each of these will give smaller amounts of power on their own than a pure dump of fuel.

And that's where the danger is. In order to do this on a CR engine, the most effective way is to fool the ECU into thinking that it hasn't raised the rail pressure to the right level. It's done by interfering with the rail pressure sensor, reducing the return voltage which is what the ECU measures the pressure by. In the end, you have a fuel rail operating at a much higher pressure and with the cheaper chips, that's ALL you have. You have no protection (eg reducing the chip's effect based on EGT) so there's going to be the risk of the whole show going bang.

With that said, you'd have to be pushing the car hard for extended periods to really risk it blowing up, and keeping an eye on your coolant temps with a gauge that reads accurately around the 80-120C mark would be highly beneficial, especially if it has an alarm you can set when coolant > 110C.

The cheaper chips might give you some extra beans but they do it in a dangerous way. I'll explain.

Diesels always get lots of air - there's no butterfly restricting airflow like in a petrol engine. Every time the piston draws air in with the intake valves open, the chamber fills as much as it can with air - usually pumped in under pressure by the turbocharger.

This means that the fastest way to get the most beans is to simply increase the fuel. You CAN get chips that finely control the turbocharger output and the injection timing as well, but each of these will give smaller amounts of power on their own than a pure dump of fuel.

And that's where the danger is. In order to do this on a CR engine, the most effective way is to fool the ECU into thinking that it hasn't raised the rail pressure to the right level. It's done by interfering with the rail pressure sensor, reducing the return voltage which is what the ECU measures the pressure by. In the end, you have a fuel rail operating at a much higher pressure and with the cheaper chips, that's ALL you have. You have no protection (eg reducing the chip's effect based on EGT) so there's going to be the risk of the whole show going bang.

With that said, you'd have to be pushing the car hard for extended periods to really risk it blowing up, and keeping an eye on your coolant temps with a gauge that reads accurately around the 80-120C mark would be highly beneficial, especially if it has an alarm you can set when coolant > 110C.
Very informative, Tony. I've been shopping for a chip too. Still tossing up which one to get. Suggestions?

For a common rail
Steinbaer the end

Pre common rail not so important most chips will do

would it be safe to do one of these and the EGR blank? and would i get much real noticable improvement in performance and or economy? i am not after a race car, this is my first ever diesel and i know nothing about them... thanks for the help, keep it coming (((-;

Yes egr is a must,start with a good exhaust that will liven it up with lower egt's as well. As for chips there is such mixed opinion about them I doubt you will ever find the answer you seek,most gain their thoughts on a very few negatives they read about. If chips were so dangerous the pages on this forum would be full of peoples chip issues at the moment it's just chit chat. Try a few google reviews or the whirlpool review forum this is more to the point and you will receive a better answer from those that have actually used and reviewed them.

Catch can, EGR block, exhaust then get a chip. If you want to make some real power then up the boost to 20psi and fit some guages to monitor your engine better. The best chip on the market is Unichip by a long way. Nothing even comes close to it. Finding someone who can tune it is another question, there would only be a handful of diesel tuners in AUS who actually know what they are doing.

Stewart EGT means exhaust gas temperatures. This is normally measured at the dump pipe. Basically if a diesel is too highly tuned or improperly tuned this can be the cause of the failures that are known to happen. As for tuning Dilmah was referring to the Unichip being the best you can buy and not many can tune it properly. It controls timing, rail pressure and turbo boost. The cheap chips are rail pressure only and place more load on the rail hence why there is a bit of reluctance from some to fit one.

thanks John, i`ll be leaving mine alone for a while and maybe a unichip in the future sounds like the way to go.

As far as chips go, for the modern diesel the Unichip probably does the most in terms of both providing extra power and doing it in an efficient way. Steinbauer has a stronger name, and probably has more installed units that have just gone and gone and gone without giving any trouble. Either will cost you considerably more than a No Limits chip but both offer far more "smarts" too!

Back