V6 owners...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaceV

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im just wondering how you go with your V6 petrol Navs.

Just curious as Ive been thinking of selling my turbo diesel for the petrol model.

I do realise they are more thirsty, but I did some calculations and I would be spending an extra $17 a week in fuel. Not much, and for what I use my navara for, it just seems to be cheaper option in the long run.

Hi there Jacev,
I've got a 3.3 V6 2003 Nav and it runs pretty good ,roughly 11-13 litres per 100 kms depends on if I tow my tinnie but 12kms on highway runs.
cheers

Hi there Jacev, I've got a 3.3 V6 2003 Nav and it runs pretty good ,roughly 11-13 litres per 100 kms depends on if I tow my tinnie but 12kms on highway runs. cheers
Hi Rosco, That is pretty good fuel consumption for a V6 mate, I have the 3ltr Version and my average fuel consumption is between 12 - 15 litres per hundred depending on whether I'm towing my camper trailer, so I think in reality you're not doing too bad, I have added a snorkel to mine and it has helped with induction. The only other thing I can think of is try a new set of Leads, and a better flowing exhaust system

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Im just wondering how you go with your V6 petrol Navs.

Just curious as Ive been thinking of selling my turbo diesel for the petrol model.

Funny you mention that. At one stage I was thinking of doing the same thing. I do few K's, weekender's away, not that far there is heaps of good spots. Don't tow anything. Diesel seemed like a good idea at the time. Was I wrong! Now have to much tied up in the D40 I have now and I think petrol didn't come out in the King Cabs which I like.

I had one for 3 years, only issue was the crank angle sensor went. You have to work them hard to get them going and they lack the low down torque of the diesel. I used to get about 400kms to a tank. But they do have some balls when you get them going.

I have a 08 petrol auto, and just got back from a trip of around 1000kms towing my 18ft van. I got an atrocious 4.66 kms per ltr, or 21.48 ltrs per 100 kms. I am in the same situation as TAPPET, where I would like to go to a diesel, but have too much invested in my current ride.

Maybe NAVVY & Tappet can do a swap!!

Had my 07 STX for 12 mths now, v6 petrol auto.
Get about 17l/100km around town and 12l/100km on the highway.

I usually do short trips around town, when my partner used it for a week travelling to the other side of town, she was getting about 16l/100km

I have the V6 Petrol 6 Speed and honestly it goes like a cut snake. Yes mines a 4x2 so a better diff ratio but for my needs tis damm good. I can get the economy into the high 11's if I drive real careful and sometimes I do try but it usually ends up in me being ticked off at some idiot so I cain the beasty and ignore the consumption lol.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Just not sure at the moment, I dont like how these modern diesels are set up. Too many problems are starting to emerge, its not just navaras either.

The v6 is pretty good, but as mentioned can be a little thirsty. But a couple of things like the Toyota air box/ snorkel mod plus a better exhaust system all help. The V6 exhaust manifold is a little restrictive. Beaudesert Exhausts have a good system they can fit (around $1500.00), and I remember saying I was going to get this done 2 years ago! Ummm, I am going to do it, honest

Beaudesert system is 2.5inch. I had a set of genie extractors on mine and an airbox mod. What I have now has heaps more torque but in a straight line the v6 went like a cut snake.
HJ

I've got an 02 V6 and my average is 15 - 16l/100km. The only way I get anywhere near 12 is if I'm sitting behind a truck on the highway for a few hundred k's. Have done all the fuel saving mods I can think of (snorkel/k&n air filter/new plugs, leads, distributor cap, coil/professional injector clean/regular servicing/low visc oil/extractors/2.5 inch exhaust/probably more that I've forgotten!). Pretty much given up on it now, too expensive to drive. Time to go diesel.

Try changing your driving style you will never get into diesel economy but I could gain another 120kms just by being nice on the right foot.
HJ

Mines a 4.0 manual and I get consistent mid 12s round town with 3" lift and 32" muds. I also have a volant intake and cat back exhaust. Goes hard but if you drive em "normally" they not too bad. I still need to get ecu flashed and hopefully see a bit of an improvement.

Latest posts

Back