logistics of a Z24 to a TD27T4, TD27Ti or TD27ETi

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking at a TD27T4, TD27Ti or TD27ETi if i can but finding a good Terrano, Terrano II or pathfinder cheep is a hard thing to do here in Brizzy and the $ is a problem as i am on limited fixed income (disability)

i will be buying a full running doner car because i like my ute and want to get it up and going again and intend to keep it long term

as i go i will be adding to this thread and sort of turning it in to a build thread but in the beginning it will be a learning and knowledge collecting thread

i have a 87 STD Cab Z24 and the motor has be trouble and expensive since i bought the ute 2nd hand and i have found problem after problem with the ute but i like it enough to want to spend time and $ to fix it

Link to My intro thread

same gearbox. but you will need the td27 bellhousing, then swap it over.

same engine mount, but they use the other bolt holes, i think you just move them.

you obv need to convert to diesel , get all the filters, priming pumps fuel tank flush/change etc etc.

td27t runs on one wire, wo wiring change is easy enough, you prob remove most of the z24 loom.
td27eti - has wiring loom and would need a full conversion on the looms, so chop and changes here.

z24 diffs are probably 4.3 ratio....most turbo diesel ones are 4.6 or na diesel 4.8....so if you can be bothered change diffs, otherwise it might be a twincy bit slower...but will sit at lower rpm @ 100.

if your willing to do the effort, it can be done....but the old d21 dont cost alot, why not buy one allready diesel? unless yours is in awesome nick?

curveball..keep it petrol, convert it to sr20de, or go turbo sr20det..same gearbox...just need the bellhousing, do sump mods, get wiring loom, do skids.

anyway, have fun

same gearbox. but you will need the td27 bellhousing, then swap it over.
any TD27 bell housing? manual or auto?
from any of the TD27 range even the Ti and ETi?

same engine mount, but they use the other bolt holes, i think you just move them.
excellent i was hopping not to have to modify them

you obv need to convert to diesel , get all the filters, priming pumps fuel tank flush/change etc etc.
ok yep was looking at putting a surge tank under the hood and feeding it with the petrol lift pump in the tank

td27t runs on one wire, wo wiring change is easy enough, you prob remove most of the z24 loom.
td27eti - has wiring loom and would need a full conversion on the looms, so chop and changes here.
ok i'll look at that once i have found a doner
is there much of a economy increase going to the ETi or Ti over the standed DT27T

z24 diffs are probably 4.3 ratio....most turbo diesel ones are 4.6 or na diesel 4.8....so if you can be bothered change diffs, otherwise it might be a twincy bit slower...but will sit at lower rpm @ 100.
2WD diff 3.9:1 looking for a 3.5:1 because it revs its nuts off at 110Kmph
tires/rims 205/R65R15

if your willing to do the effort, it can be done....but the old d21 dont cost alot, why not buy one allready diesel? unless yours is in awesome nick?
any styleside / hardbody is hard to find here in QLD and i love the look can not stand the look of a Ali flat tray

looking at all the car sale type of sites right now i can only find 1 styleside / hardbody and its over 1000Km away

mine has rust around the windscreen but i will take care of that while its off the road and pulled apart a few tiny rust holes in other places in the bed will be fixes at the same time

the Z24 i am replacing got shocking MPL 87Lt tank and was lucky to get 480Km from it and it was the same almost every tank

curveball..keep it petrol, convert it to sr20de, or go turbo sr20det..same gearbox...just need the bellhousing, do sump mods, get wiring loom, do skids.

anyway, have fun

had not thought about that but i mainly want to get away from petrol and have seen nothing but good things about how bullet proof the DT27 range is

i am not looking for more speed or power but better economy and reliability and still be able to tow a heavy item

thank you for your thoughts and knowledge and help some things to mull over in my head now

If they have pictures in them, they need to be approved by a moderator first...

I cannot confirm if auto is the same deal, i only have dealt with the manuals.
I would honestly assume so, from a quick search they all use the RE4R01A auto box with slightly different gear ratios/clutch packs....

The td27 did'not change shape of the rear, so the bellhousing remains the same across the models.

an interesting point however is from the original td27 they came out with the 4wd version of the FS5W71B gearbox, thats nissan used in nearly every 4 cylinder motor they made, but when they switched to the TD27eti they switched to the big bad FS5R30A from nissans 6 cylinder range (and even gtr's)......this could be because the motor makes a-lot more torque, or it could be because around then (early 1998?) they switch that to that type of gearbox for all the 4cy diesels (finally realising the FS5W71B was shit for diesel torque outputs).

so with that in mind you probably can use your auto box, but it might be worthwhile looking at the diesel configuration and just double check its not better setup for the torque of the td27t.

r20 aka td27eti at manual can be found here
http://terranoirk.ru/forums/manual/R20/at.pdf

with regards to economy, i think the ETI would be better, i only think this because it has all the electronic fuel pump, afm, ecu and would have it tuned for economy in mind....the manual td27t is more of a liniar thing, with the manual fuel pump doing all the work. the 27eti also put out substantially more torque and a small amount more HP - that would generally be a good deal breaker if you could find one cheap.

on the flipside, it will be harder to do with all the electronics and the td27t is so simple.
if your towing etc, i would look into an upgraded intercooler, whatever option suits you.

yes ive had a good run with my td27's...just got to find one in good condition. I picked up a td27t with obver 500 on the odo (hat stoped working a few year before) quite cheap. It was a dirty old thing when i got it, i was reluctant to put the motor in, i was thinking about just swapping the turbo onto my td27...but i put it in and it lasted many years of abuse from me never skipping a beat. They respond well to a bit more boost, an intercooler and fueling adjustments...but because there old, you run the risk of getting a lemmon with HG issues, bad turbos...all that stuff...so just shop around and do your pre inspection tests before buying one.

if you have the room, a written off terrano is the way to go, then you get all the parts you need and can sell of the parts you don't need.

so with that in mind you probably can use your auto box, but it might be worthwhile looking at the diesel configuration and just double check its not better setup for the torque of the td27t.

i have the 5 speed manual at the moment and would like to keep it manual that is why i was asking about the auto bellhouseing as all the Terrano.s i can find seem to be auto

i do not have the room for a doner car but i will be buying a full car anyway and i will MAKE room for it :rofl2:

what about a clutch and flywheel will my Z24 one fit it because like i said before i only seem to be able to find automatic doners

ok back to the bellhouseing

do i use the one of the Z24 or do i need a manual one off the TD27xxx

i have been looking for a "manual" TD27xxx for week now and only found 1 that was over 1000Km away and they wanted $5K for it (that ant going to happen)

and the fun has started

i have decided it will be easer to get the motor out by takeing off the body

here are just a few picks of the first day

step 1 get a donor

IMG_0138.JPG

step 2 get to the motor

IMG_0149.JPG

step 4 put the body off to one side so you can take more parts off it later and move the frame out of the road

IMG_0153.JPG

here are some more pics

google+ images

If there is anything you want me to take pics of specifically let me know ASAP because this could all go real fast

well motor is out and on a stand i bout from SUPERSHEAP AUTO less than 24 hours old and the motor only sitting on it for about 10 min
this could have taken my toes off
rated at 450Kg only had about 280Kg on it

i went back to the store i got it from and got them to open a few others of them on the shelf and ALL had the same defective part/metal and they left them on the shelf to

IMG_0155.JPG

then this happens

IMG_0158.JPG

more google + images

Last edited:
A few years too late... but you installed that part of the engine stand upside down. No wonder they're "all defective" haha

Latest posts

Back