Tacho For TD27

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadly

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the takeoff for tacho is on the TD27??? Mine doesn't have one, and looking at fitting an aftermarket one.

Cheers........................Dave

Uh.... Pulse rate from the alternator? Maybe? The only cable is for the speedo I think. I could be completely wrong.

That makes 2 of us:big_smile:
I know when i pulled the guage cluster out, there where a couple of extra plugs behind it that don't plug into my cluster.

Beware trying to buy gauge clusters, I sold a petrol one in mediocre condition for something stupid like $160, I was gobsmacked.

Try the back of the injector pump.

I don't have a diesel myslef, but seen this discussed on another forum

Try the back of the injector pump.

I don't have a diesel myslef, but seen this discussed on another forum

I can only see one wire out of the back of the injector pump which is the fuel cut solenoid, but I could be unable to see the extra one.

I can only see one wire out of the back of the injector pump which is the fuel cut solenoid, but I could be unable to see the extra one.

Like I said, heard someone mention it on another forum, so can't speak from personal experience.

There is another, slightly more complex way to get your tacho working.

Remove diesel engine.
Put in petrol engine
Hook tacho up to distributor.

Probably not the answer you were looking for though.:big_smile:

Remove diesel engine.
Put in petrol engine
Hook tacho up to distributor.

Trade diesel bliss for a tacho??? :big_smile:

I swear it's off the pulse rate from the alternator and you just have to find the right wire behind your dash cluster.

I have 2 TD27s. The tacho sensor for the non-turbo is on the front of the timing cover just under the alternator bracket. The turbo motor sensor was on the bottom of the timing cover under the injector pump. They are not interchangeable - ie the non turbo sensor is about 1/4 the number of pulses of the turbo and this cannot be made up by adjusting the pot in the tacho.

The best way to deal with this when replacing a standard TD27 with a Turbo motor I found is to change the timing covers. You can apparently buy a pulse converter box for about $500 that is able to be calibrated to adjust the pulses but, for me at least, it seemed more sensible just to change the covers. Do it before you put the new motor in though.

Last edited:
I have 2 TD27s. The tacho sensor for the non-turbo is on the front of the timing cover just under the alternator bracket. The turbo motor sensor was on the bottom of the timing cover under the injector pump. They are not interchangeable - ie the non turbo sensor is about 1/4 the number of pulses of the turbo and this cannot be made up by adjusting the pot in the tacho.

The best way to deal with this when replacing a standard TD27 with a Turbo motor I found is to change the timing covers.<<snip>>

Hi mikeathome - I have this same situation - Terrano motor in a Navara. I do not have the tacho sensor in the front timing cover, but I DO have the sensor you mentioned - threaded into the edge of the casting that surrounds the fuelpump drive.

You say it is 1/4 the number of pulses. I can fix that (I like tinkering with electronics). Do you know what the sensor is? Is it a reed switch, or a hall effect sensor, or an inductive loop??

I suppose my real question is this -

Assuming I have the sensor but no other electronics or cabling, how do I connect this sensor to get the 1/4 frequency signal you mentioned?
How about a simple pull-up?

pullup.jpeg

Any clues would be great.

Cheers,
Chris.

Latest posts

Back