TD27T wont keep running

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajcmbrown

Reaction score
Hi all, long time no speak.
Here is a curly one for you guys, my Navara suddenly started displaying the following symptoms:
While running it just feels like it has run out of fuel, blows blue smoke and splutters to a stop, so I checked prime and the plunger is reluctant to pop up after being pushed down, managed to restart and took off only to have the same issue 70 metres down the paddock, I drained the fuel filter and could not see any issues like water etc, tested the water alarm on the bottom of the filter and it works fine.
So I get it back to the house after several stalls and I have noticed that when it is running the priming plunger gets sucked down until it stalls and then the plunger releases to the normal position.
I can't help think that there is a restriction in the fuel pickup, I have siphoned all of the diesel out of the tank from the very bottom of the tank thinking that I may find water in the fuel, but no, it looks fine.
Just as an aside, for the past year, if I leave it sitting without starting for more than a couple of weeks, I need to prime the fuel filter before it will run, not sure if it could be sucking air somewhere?
I removed the fuel filter to see if there was any obvious restriction, it was replaced about 6 months ago and I could not see any obvious issues.
This is quite odd, I have no idea why it is doing this other than a restriction in the fuel pickup in the tank when running while being drawn by the IP, any suggestions?
Tony

Not yet but will tomorrow morning, but it appears as though the IP has plenty of suction to be able to pull the primer plunger down.
I can't help but think that the restriction is between the filter and tank, makes no difference with fuel cap off.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd check the fuel lines, especially the rubber ones between the hard lines and the filter/lift pump. They may have started deteriorating and breaking apart inside causing a restriction...

Well it is definitely between the filter and the tank, I took the fuel line that connects the filter to the tan and blew through it, at first it wouldn't let me, then it released and I could hear bubbles in the tank.
Now it starts and runs like it should, probably even better than it has for quite some time!
So the next step is replacing the rubber fuel lines, then I may drop the tank out and have a good look inside just to make sure there are no foreign objects in the tank that could block the pickup. And check the strainer on the Injector pump of course.
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, a little bit of work ahead but nothing too hard.
Tony

Well it is definitely between the filter and the tank, I took the fuel line that connects the filter to the tan and blew through it, at first it wouldn't let me, then it released and I could hear bubbles in the tank.
Now it starts and runs like it should, probably even better than it has for quite some time!
So the next step is replacing the rubber fuel lines, then I may drop the tank out and have a good look inside just to make sure there are no foreign objects in the tank that could block the pickup. And check the strainer on the Injector pump of course.
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, a little bit of work ahead but nothing too hard.
Tony

sounds like you might have shit in your lins, prob find a heap of shit in the tank if thats the case.

might be worth while replacing the lines, using an air compressor to blow them out,
if your super keen run some thin wire (welding wire?) down the metal lines and sort of clean them out, then blow em out again.

but you might want to drop the fuel tank, remove the top sender unit and just take a look around in the tank, it could need a proper flush out.

good luck man :)

I just bought a secondhand long range tank, its lovely inside but the outside was average - so ive just painted it up etc and next weekend ill be doing all my fuel lines and changing the tank - fun times!

Your problem is the plunger itself. Happened to me just today.

WOW

you know it amazes me how people post with out even reading what has been going on in the thread

just so you dont have to strain yourself looking for it mate

Latest posts

Back