Engine conversion '88 D21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanlean

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum.

I picked up a 1988 D21 at the start of the year, and I've been looking at a conversion from the stock Z24 to a VG30e.
Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion in the rear wheel drive, and how much work am I expecting to have to do? In regards to moving engine mounts, etc.
Thanks for the feedback.

Jordan

I've done Z24 to VG33e on the 4x4, no need to move engine mounts. It sort of bolts in, wiring in the ECU is the interesting bit. The VG30e has a less complex EFI system than the VG33e so you can retain your mechanical speedometer, much easier.

Fuel system - need an EFI pump, I recommend getting the in-tank bits from a VG30e D21 or any petrol D22 (KA24E/KA24DE/VG33E tanks are fine). Make sure you update the rubber parts of the fuel line between the tank and the injector rail to EFI hose. I initially ran a surge tank but the external pump was way too loud:
DSC_0085.JPG

Air intake - you'll need to add an airbox of some sort

Driveline - should bolt in

Electrical:
I ran everything I could in the stock layout from the donor car, including the passenger side engine harness pass through on the firewall:
DSC_0104.JPG

so I could run the ECU on the top of the transmission tunnel under the dash. I'm sure with some creative thinking and a bit of waterproofing you could run the ECU in an easier spot. At any rate this will be the most challenging part of the conversion unless you have a complete donor D21. I am happy to answer any more specific questions you have along the way.

All done:
image6_Large_.jpeg

Latest posts

Back