3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this particular setup is for only the D22 with ZD30 motor.

D40's run a completly different system. they use the variable turbo instead of the intake butterfly to shove more EGR in. so if you block EGR you need to modify the turbo control setup.

outright performance should not change as most (but not all) vechiles turn off EGR at full throttle. the improvements is in the lower rpm and at cruise. obviously improvement there usually equals better fuel economy.
however a lot simply do it for reliability. the EGR gunks up the inlet manifold and incorrect operation increases EGT's which can cause cracked heads or blow pistons.

When blocking EGR on inlet side (I'm using 3mm alloy) do you do it where the steel tubing comes around rear of motor & attaches to cast iron box. OR do you block it at the inlet manifold where the cast alloy tube comes up & meets the inlet manifold ???? Has anyone got a photo of plate in place ( instructions are good, but a photo is more like 100,000 words !)

i agree with stevo, if we could get a picture it would be great.
wouldn't it be better to block it the turbo side rather then the other side of the motor?

just so the hose around the back of the motor wont have air being forced into it and have no where to go. that was my thinking.

It will just fill with gas until its full and then no more will go in.

I dont see a problem with that. It was designed to handle hot gas so it wont hurt.

At the end of the day if it makes you feel better, do it. I just recon its a waste of effort for no gain as its much easier to work at the inlet side rather than the exhaust side.

The important thing here is that you do it one way or another.

What position would be best here for the blanking plate ? 1 or 2

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG00002-20090404-1232.jpg
    IMG00002-20090404-1232.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,786
1 is easier.

if your really fussy put one at number 1 and another at the turbo end of the egr pipe.

guys what parts do i need to go buy to do the EGR mod? t peice bit etc? what size and whats it called? hose or anything else. I know i need so alloy plate. Oh i'm going to do the catch can thing also. thanks for a part list as i don't want to look like a goose asking a 17 yr old kid in supercheap :D

other than a bit of scap steel for the plate, no other bits required. all T pieces used are the ones allready fitted.

oh so you dont need to run different hose's,
well that's good im going to do it next weekend.

tweake would a Cetane Booster clean out the gunk also?

no.

the gunk is in the inlet pipes not the combustion chamber. diesel fuel (+cetane booster/additive etc) is injected into combustion area not inlet manifold so there is no way it can possibly clean out the intakes.

there was a one stage a company that did "carbon" clean. basically did a water/methanol injection but using some other cleaning agent. apparently it cleans it all out in one go. not sure how good that is on the motor tho.

Latest posts

Back