Replacing pinion seal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrOzLov

Reaction score
Hi all

It's been a while since my last post...meaning that my Nav was running smooth. However, after a big Xmas trip, my rear diff started leaking oil. Conclusion, pinion seal was to be replaced. I bought an OEM pinion seal from my preferred shop.

I've also followed a number of youtube videos about how to replace a pinion seal. Not a bigy until I tried my new seal. So here is the deal. The original seal looks a bit different from new one. Photo Seals.jpg. The old seal has a lip which stops it of sinking deeper into the diff housing. The new one doesn't. Photo Lips.jpg.

Talking to the sales guy and researching the internet, the new replacement seal is the correct one. So I am keen to assemble back everything according to the order in photo Order.jpg.

The only issue I am facing is the thin large washer. (right side in photo Order.jpg). It sits loosely in the diff houses...or at least that's what I get the impression off. See Assembled.jpg. In other words: will the new seal be holding the washer in place when assembled? Also will the new seal be moving up and down without that lip which would hold it in place?

I am looking for some guidance and opinions here. Also if anyone knows a place where I can buy a seal similar to the original one but not for the same price, that'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. OzLov

Attachments

• Seals.jpg
    Seals.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Lips.jpg
    Lips.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Order.jpg
    Order.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 75