Instrument Cluster woes!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey!
I have the "old brown dials with the bendy-needles" -

Brown.jpg

In the donor truck I bought, it has a newer style of instrument cluster with white dials -

White.jpg

I have a whole heap of .pdf manuals for various D21's and NEITHER of these instrument clusters appear in ANY of them!!! Loads of others (that I have NEVER seen in a truck), but neither of these...

If you have a wiring diagram for either (or both) of these, please let me have a copy. Please. :redcool:

Cheers in advance and have a REALLY happy weekend.

Last edited:
Bugger.
Was hoping they be the same size. Well if is was VN-VS Commie I could help you no problem. Done enough of those lately.

No such luck...
Here is a shot of the rear of both. The plugs on the white face instrument cluster are the same shape, but a bit smaller. The brown face instrument cluster has an extra connector (wired externally and bolted on the back) for the clock.

Rear_of_both_1.jpg

See?

I have cut off the plugs (and as much wire as possible) from the donor truck, so, if I can work out what should go where, I'm in with a chance!

There are the same number of connectors and the same number of contacts. It could be that I can just change the plugs over and it is ok.

I WOULD like to get a wiring diagram (there MUST be a copy out there SOMEWHERE!!!)

OK - So here is what I have

I have collected a few wiring diagrams for different clusters, but none are the one I need. I'll post the ones I have in case they are useful to anyone.
If you have one (in the "EL" section of the documentation), please post it here!

Style 1:
Style_1.jpg

Style 2:
Style_2.jpg

Style 3:
Style_3.jpg

Style 4:
Style_4.jpg

One more to come...

image attached

Thanks heaps, seventies47!
That is spot-on for the new one.

One other thing - There is a thing that looks like a bi-metallic relay inside the cluster, between the tacho and the temp/fuel gauges. It looks like this (and I have removed the tach face):

22.jpg

Or, a bit closer:

3.jpg

It looks like the older-style current-sensitive flasher relay, but the indicators still work with the instrument cluster removed?

Any ideas??

Actually getting somewhere, now...

This MIGHT be my last question on this for today, but (looking at the schematics) what is the "10 km/h switch" for???

My friend that owns a Toyota said it puts a light on when you exceed the maximum design speed for a Nissan, but he owns a Toyota, so needs our sympathy, not our indignation...

Haha, Possibly. Id say it was more likely for seat belt warning! Cant help you with ID'ing that relay, maybe trace the tracks back to the pin no's and go from there?

Ah!
That sounds reasonable. I'll probably not put too much effort into connecting that back up...

OK - Next is to identify all of the wire colours and create a patching chart. I have the connectors and about 15cm of wire to work with. I'll chop the old connectors off (leaving some wire in case they have to go back on), I can then solder it all together and test it. If ok, I can slip the heat shrink over and Robert is your Father's Brother...

If anyone has done this before, please let me know if there were any gotchas!

:)

Latest posts

Back