Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

Old 11-01-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
Bloody hell the ebay seller has jacked the price up of the intercoolers by 100 bucks since my post 3 days ago

It appears to be as a result of the communications exchange occuring from this thread...
I'm removing the link. I really don't like sellers who do that.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

That's a bit rough... Fair call really, he deserves to lose a but of business through here if he wants to act like that...

Old 12-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
here in sa in summer the bugs seem to be made of superglue and asbestos fibres, sticky and impossible to budge
We're in SA at the moment, slowly making our way down the Stuart Highway. Haven't seen much more than pesky little flies at the moment, but we've had thousands of those since we crossed into Queensland a couple of weeks ago.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 12-01-2020, 11:43 PM

I think because it's been so dry for so long now the bugs are thinning out..
That said i pulled a massive locust off my spottie yesterday

Old 15-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I think because it's been so dry for so long now the bugs are thinning out..
That said i pulled a massive locust off my spottie yesterday
Thats got me thinking. Is there an issue with large spotties in front of the radiator? Judging by the number of people who have them on their bull bars, suggest that it isn't a major concern, but they do block and disrupt a fair amount of airflow that would have gone into the radiator/intercooler.

Old 15-01-2020, 11:07 PM

Spotlights definitely reduce airflow through the intercooler/radiator
Its only really noticed on a hot day, towing or sand driving or climbing a big hill, which is obviously when things are going to overheat

I compensated by replacing my fan clutch, and adding extra silicone oil to the reservoir in the new fan clutch, which makes the fan drive at a cooler temperature

Makes a huge difference to engine temps, uses a lil bit more fuel though of course

Old 16-01-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Spotlights definitely reduce airflow through the intercooler/radiator
Its only really noticed on a hot day, towing or sand driving or climbing a big hill, which is obviously when things are going to overheat
If I'm setting up my tourer for desert conditions, then putting spotties on the front might not be a good idea. I think I'll just make do with lights on the roof rack or maybe put a smaller lightbar on the front.

Quote:
I compensated by replacing my fan clutch, and adding extra silicone oil to the reservoir in the new fan clutch, which makes the fan drive at a cooler temperature
Is that a clutch that makes the fan run faster than stock or more often?

Old 16-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

From the factory they have a thermal clutch setup on them. I believe the factory unit is sealed, but Toyota sell the viscous fluid (maybe other places too) and I believe aftermarket fan hubs can be unbolted and split apart so you can add more fluid.

As for the lights, there are some pretty decent single row light Bars that would be ok on a roof rack without being too high. It really depends on what sort of travelling you do at night time, highway or off road. A light bar on the roof tends to have a lot more spread than a small one on the front. The only downside is reflection from aerials on the bull bar and possibly light in the top of the windscreen or off the side mirrors depending on where it is mounted....

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I've opened my fan clutch (also called a viscous hub) and poured more silicone oil in it. Works a treat.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

This is the stuff

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141853422998

I put two extra little bottles of the silicone oil into an aftermarket Dayco fan clutch before installing it

Adding extra silicone oil makes the fan start to drive at a cooler temp, so it comes on earlier as the engine warms up, and drives harder as the engine gets hot

Fan clutches work via a thermo spring, a spring made of two metals that moves as it heats and allows more oil through a valve, which causes more force to be transferred through the clutch

Have a look on youtube its worth understanding it

People get excited about electric thermofans and bigger radiators, but making the main fan drive harder makes a shiteload more air move through all your coolers up front

The trade-off of course is the vehicle uses a small amount more fuel to drive the fan extra hard

Old cars like the Datsuns i had dont have a clutch on the engine fan, the fan is bolted straight onto the crank and drives flat out all the time so they almost never get hot
But once again they used a little more fuel because the fan is driving so hard